Odd Verizon behavior, fast, but slow

I hope I'm posting to the right newsgroup. Can someone explain exactly what "xdsl" is?

I've been using Verizon DSL for about four months now. Been very happy with it. Last month I was switched from 4.xxx ...... to 71.xxx ...... IP range. Don't know if this is relevant.

After a brief period of 373 kbps, I installed filters, and have gotten 1.5 to 1.6 mbps ever since.

However, in the past few days, my connection began dropping every 15 minutes or so. After that finally cleared itself up, for the past couple of days, surfing itself has been absolutely glacial. It has gone from lightening fast to a less than 33k level. When I do a speed test, both Verizon and third-party sites still report a "fast" connection at speeds ranging from

1.4 to 1.6 mbps.

However, surfing itself is still unacceptably glacial. Websites barely load, when they do graphics take forever or barely show up. I don't understand it. I've cleared temp files, rebooted, reconnected ethernet cords, reconnected the modem, even hard coded the DNS servers to level3 (since this was touted as part of the problem). Nothing is working. I'm at the point of wanting to throw my hands up in the air and tossing my computer out the window, lol.

The usenet end doesn't seem to have changed. It's still fast. Problem is occuring on both IE and Firefox so I don't think it's browser related.

I've been reading reports that tech support is less than helpful, so I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar and how to handle tech support so I can zero in on solving my problem.

Thanks in advance, Larry

Reply to
Larry G
Loading thread data ...

I solved my problem. Unplugged my modem. Works fine again. ::knock wood:: I'd still like to know for my info what xdsl refers to. Yes I know I can look it up, but then again, most things like this make usenet redundant anyway. I like the personal interaction is brings.

Larry

Reply to
Larry G

If it works fine with the modem unplugged, then something strange is happening :) . I think you mean that you power-cycled the modem.

It should be xDSL. The "x" is supposed to remind you of algebra, where "x" is used to substitute other values. It's just a composite term that includes ADSL, SDSL, IDSL and any other form of DSL.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

So why not just call is DSL?

--

formatting link

Reply to
ellis

This may be a result of a high-speed but low-reliability connection. Dropped packets will cause your requests to be lost, and then you have to wait for retransmissions.

Get a tool like PingPlotter and watch a good site for a while, and see how many errors you get at each node. Good luck with getting Verizon to acknowledge or fix the problem (I switched to FIOS), but at least you'll know what it is...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.