news.verizon.net

I followed Verizon's instructions for access to newsgroups.

Verizon's "support" people only know how to set up Outlook Express. They said, and I quote:

"We don't support READING news, only setting it up."

My problem is that news.verizon.net apparently requires authentication, and my Verizon credentials, which work for everything else, like PPPoE connections, POP3 and SMTP, do not work at news.verizon.net.

Verizon's "support" people say these credentials are the ones that work for news. Empirically, they do not work. Verizon has now left the universe.

Anyway, this is what news.verizon.net has had to say, for the last week or so:

$ telnet news.verizon.net 119 Trying 199.45.49.11... Connected to news.verizon.net. Escape character is '^]'.

200 This connection requires username/password authentication. (Tornado Backend v1.0.4.362) authinfo user ******** 381 More Authentication Required authinfo pass ******** 502 Authentication failed. Check your username & password.

As for the instruction "Check your username & password," they say insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

--ritKoysu

Reply to
ritKoysu
Loading thread data ...

You can only access the verizon news server from your DSL or Verizon Dial Up connections. You can't telnet to it, nor should you need to.

Reply to
Alan

So ?

If you follow the directions to access Verizon's News Server you can use *any* News Reader/Client.

So what is the problem ?

Just enter a username and password for authentication and your in -- Like Me !

Dave

Reply to
David H. Lipman

NNTP, the protocol underlying Usenet service, is a textual protocol, like SMTP is for e-mail. You can telnet to a NNTP server on its port (119) and type NNTP commands. This is very useful for testing low-level access to the NNTP server, just as is telneting on port 25 to an SMTP server and typing in SMTP commands. All that news clients do is provide a more user-friendly interface to these NNTP commands.

However, the Verizon news server may only accept connections from its own network (DSL or dialup); that is an entirely different matter.

Reply to
CharlesH

You can use a TELNET client to debug most any line-at-a-time server, like NNTP, SMTP or POP servers, by connecting to the appropriate port (119 for NNTP), typing in the client commands and reading the server's responses.

The OP is correctly playing the role of an NNTP client and the server is telling him that the userid and/or password he's using aren't good (as far as it's concerned).

If, as he says, he's using the same userid/password combo as for all other Verizon applications, this suggests that Verizon has configured their news server incorrectly, but can't seem to figure that out.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

What planet do your news servers run on?!?!?

If you telnet to port 119, the server has no way of knowing you are not actually using a news client. It does not know you are telnetting. It will not matter if he telnets to it. It should work regardless.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

The problem, if you look at his post, is that his user name and password DON'T work when connecting. If it ain't working when he telnets to port

119 and manually enters the NNTP commands, it sure as heck ain't gonna work from a newsreader/client.
Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

You left out the "Nyah, nyah, nyah" at the beginning of your message.

Reply to
Alan

The problem then he/she did NOT follow the directions for setting authentication.

Dave

| > If you follow the directions to access Verizon's News Server you can use

*any* News | > Reader/Client. | >

| > So what is the problem ? | >

| > Just enter a username and password for authentication and your in -- Like Me ! | >

| > Dave | | The problem, if you look at his post, is that his user name and password | DON'T work when connecting. If it ain't working when he telnets to port | 119 and manually enters the NNTP commands, it sure as heck ain't gonna | work from a newsreader/client.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Or, the other problem: It could be that he's trying to authenticate with a sub-account for which he has not gone to Verizon's website to enable Usenet access. Or.....

Dave

Reply to
Dave Thornburgh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.