Newbie - SBC dsl

Have ordered dsl from SBC & ordered the wireless networking kit. Neither have arrived yet so perhaps my questions are premature but -- here goes anyway.

1) I have a WIN98Se, and 2 XPsp2 computers. The WIN98 does not have an ethernet card so I am assuming that it can't be networked unless one is installed. Right?

2) The two XP's are in rooms at opposite ends of the house and have ethernet. After I ordered the wireless kit I noticed that SBC says you need a USB adapter if the PC's are not in the same room. Can I pick up a Linksys at say CompUSA or is it best to order direct from SBC?

3) Do I need to have all the stuff they are sending me installed before activation day? How can I test to see if it works if it isn't activated. I opted for self installation.

4) What are the pro's -- con's of installing SBC's software? Are there instructions for setting up without installing the software?

Thanks

~k

Reply to
Kmee
Loading thread data ...

Thanks, Patrick --

I think it is a wireless router (gateway)

" the Wireless Home Networking kit contains everything you need to connect up to 2 computers in the same room directly to the gateway, including one desktop (PCI) Ethernet NIC and one USB cable. If you are using a laptop and do not intend to use the USB cable or an existing Ethernet interface for direct connection, or you wish to connect computers in other rooms you will need to purchase adapters for these computer, Wireless and Home PNA network cards and adapters are sold separately." They suggest the 802.11g USB 2 wire

Does this shed any light on the project?

Reply to
Kmee

I currently do not have any of the computers connected (networked). They are all stand alone each using it's own modem and phone line. I really only need to have both the XP's share the dsl line.

My interpretation was that one of the XP's would have the router (gateway) and the other would have a USB adapter. I am assuming that these are somehow connected to the Ethernet on their respective computers.

Reply to
Kmee

Thanks - for your help. Am a bit confused by your comment "if you don't want to change your order". What should I think about changing?

Reply to
Kmee

Thank you -- I will await my shipment.

Reply to
Kmee

Thanks to both you and BillW50.

Reply to
Kmee

Hi Kmee,

That's right. Unless you go wireless and use a wireless adaptor card.

Are the XP's wired? Are they hooked up to a router? They will send you a modem either 4100 or 5100b, you can the connect it to your router. I'm using a D-Link 524 wireless router (has 4 wired ethernet ports I use for my desktops and the wireless I use for my laptop) it was on sale for $19 after rebates.

You can do it whenever your ready.

I didn't use their software. There's instructions on this forum url (look on the links to the left click on new account activation);

formatting link
Hope this helps,

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Sorry about that, I just noticed you ordered the wireless networking kit. I don't know if it has eithernet ports. It sounds like it doesn't. Maybe you can cancel and reorder if it doesn't.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Hi Kmee,

Sounds like only one ethernet port. Again how are the XP's currently connected? If you want to utilize the ethernet cards in both and put another ethernet card in the 98se you will need a hub to split the one output to connect the 3. Otherwise you can connect the one to the ethernet port and get the 802.11g USB 2 wire adaptors for the others. I don't know if the 98se has a usb port or wether it's USB 1 or 2.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Hi Kmee,

Well, if you don't want to change anything (the order). You can connect one XP to the Ethernet port and order one of their USB adaptors for the other.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Hi Kmee... what usually ships with SBC wireless are DSL modem/wireless router combo. The two cheapest models are:

2Wire HomePortal 1000HG which includes: 1 Ethernet port 1 USB port 1 PhonePNA port And tons of wireless 2Wire HomePortal 1801HG which includes: 4 Ethernet ports 1 USB port And tons of wireless No PhonePNA support at all

So I would wait until you get the package before purchasing anything, unless it will work with any model above. Meaning 1 Ethernet, 1 USB, and many wireless options. And no, you don't need to pay the SBC higher prices for the wireless cards and stuff. Although make sure they support WPA if you don't want your neighbors breaking into your home network. As WEP for security isn't that good really.

__________________________________________________ Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD under Windows 2000)

-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

Reply to
BillW50

Hi Kmee,

I think BillW50 is on target. I just thought the cheaper way to go would have been to just order the modem, 4100 or 5100b, and purchase a plain router (unless you plan to go wireless in the future), hard wiring the desktop pc's.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Casher

Thanks, Kay --

Reply to
Kmee

Or a wireless adapter

Who's cheapest?

Only way to test is to install the filters and modem. If the broadband light is steady orange you have a dsl signal. This can be a false positive if it is very early in the provisioning process.

Call and ask for a cd less installation.

Reply to
Kay Archer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.