Newbie questions - Speedstream 4100 wtih Linksys router

Just sign up with SBC Yahoo DSL Pro and received a Speedstream 4100 DSL modem. Reading posts in this group, it seems like I should let my Linksys router do the PPPoE login. However, if I do that, I can access the status page from the modem. Current, the 4100 is at 192.168.0.1 and the router is at 192.168.0.5. I can access the internet from my two PC but the Internet LED on the 4100 is off. Is this the way I should configure the equipments? Are there something I can do to access the modem status pages? Thank you in advance.

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Since it works, it must be right. The Internet LED will only be on if the

4100 is doing the PPPoE authentication.

Unlikely. The router would have to bridge between the two networks. You have a network between the modem and the router and a separate network between the router and the computers. Because both networks use private addressing it is unlikely that you would be able to access one from the other.

Reply to
Kay Archer

The only time you might need to consult modem status is if you have a problem. In that case you could reset the modem and directly connect a PC to it.

I have had SBC DSL since 1/2002. The two modems I have (model 5360, including spare obtained during move) are simple bridge modems with no modem IP or statics whatsoever. As long as everything is working, I have no time to analyze statistics that do not adversely affect me (my Linux pppoe/firewall/router only logs connections allowed in, because dropped packets ignored anyway were greatly inflating my logs).

Doing PPPoE on your router keeps things simple for firewalling or port forwarding. But since PPPoE tcp/ip is isolated from ethernet tcp/ip on the same wire, the number of routers that can do both may be limited.

However, if you consult the FAQs for various SBC forums on

formatting link
alias
formatting link
there may be some modem settings that can allow to to have your cake and eat it too (like public IP passthrough).

Reply to
David Efflandt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.