Network two computers via USB and ethernet

Hi, I might be totally wrong on this, but I have an Actiontec GT701 router from Qwest. I had one computer connected via the USB port, and the other via the ethernet port. They both had no trouble accessing the internet. And after running the network wizard on both computers within Windows XP, I was able to network them and share files and folders.

I recently had to do a system recovery on the system connected via USB. Now it can't see the network anymore even after rerunning the wizard several times on both computers. The ethernet computer actually picked up the USB computer on the network neighborhood, but it gets an error when I click on it.

Is there something I'm missing here? Or is it not really supposed to be possible to network computers in this way? I swear it was working before. I noticed that on the network wizard it only recognizes the ethernet connection, not the USB. Bridging doesn't sound like it would work because it needs two valid networks.

Let me know if anyone has any insights.

Thanks!

Karl

Reply to
K2
Loading thread data ...

Check the settings of XP's built-in firewall on the machine that was restored. It's likely blocking access. Also, do not trust the Network Neighborhood, as it caches computers it was once connected to. Use ping to test the IP address of each machine from the other. Are both machines configured for DHCP? What does IPCONFIG say the IP address of each machine is?

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

These are all very sensible tips. Thanks, Gene! I'll give it a try and let you know.

Karl

Reply to
K2

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.