Netgear with SBC Yahoo DSL

I recently moved from Comcast Cable to SBC Yahoo DSL as my Internet provider. I have a Netgear MR814 router that used to work correctly with Comcast but no longer seems to work with Yahoo DSL.

What all do I have to reconfigure to make it work? I tried putting my username ( snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net, and just XYZ) as username and password in the setup area, but neither seems to work. Do I need a special DNS address or IP address for SBC?

On searching the web, I found that many people have had this issue earlier but I could not find the solution that you have provided to any of them. Please let me know the solution.

Some people had suggested trying to reset the router and then try reconfiguring it. If somebody has tried that and it has worked, let me know. I do not remember how I set up the wireless to work with my laptop so would not want to go thru reinstalling that after the reset unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks in advance.

haritm at gmail dOt com.

Reply to
haritm
Loading thread data ...

Which DSL modem did Yahoo supply? If you connect to the modem directly, and bypass the Netgear router, does it work? Note: often DSL modems include router capability. I found that often the modem and the router have the same default IP address (typically 192.168.1.1), and things get hopelessly confused (even though they shouldn't). Disconnect the DSL modem from the router, and then change the router's IP to something else, like 192.168.0.1). Power off everything, then reconnect the router to the modem. Turn on the modem. When it has connected, power on the router. Last, power on your PC.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

See if you can get your connection working with just one PC and no router first.

In our area SBC still was limiting personal accounts to one MAC address or only the first one their network saw (meaning only one IP address). They wanted to charge an extra monthly fee for every computer in the house that wanted an IP address directly from the SBC modem/router. On SBC boxes that included a built in router, and some do, I usually log into them and set the router part of the box to bridging rather than router so that all router functions were handled by our external router.

We had to install the our latest account using just one machine (no router) and in order to get the connection working. Then it was just a matter of going into the router and cloning that computer's MAC address into the router on the WAN port.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

When I setup SBC DSL about 5 years ago, I needed to use a guest account to establish my userid & passwd. Then after a while, it was active for PPPoE login. IIRC, I read the instructions in the "Mac" section of the setup documentation, and did everything through the router.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Thanks all for your helpful replies.

1. It was working without router if I connected Yahoo DSL modem directly to computer. It is the 4100 ADSL modem.

1. My router's IP was 192.168.0.1 already, so that was not the problem.

2. I tried an alteration of what Kay suggested and that seems to have worked (I still don't know why). Here's what I did --- I turned off the DSL modem but kept the router turned on. I set up my username and password as ( snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net and passwd). I set the DNS settings based on an email I got from SBC Yahoo: Primary DNS setting: 151.164.1.8 Secondary DNS setting: 206.13.28.12 Then I turned the DSL Modem on and it started working.

I think the main thing was to turn the router on before the modem, but any of the other things could have fixed my problem.

Hope this helps somebody in the future who is facing a similar problem.

Reply to
haritm

Assuming you are using the current default modem from sbc (siemans 4100). Reset* the modem to factory defaults. The router's pppoe client then should do the connecting for you. When using a router the "internet" light on the modem will not light up.

*Poke a hole in the back where the reset is, hold down the button inside for about 1 second. The power light should then start blinking red. When the first three lights are a steady green the router should go ahead and connect.
Reply to
Kay Archer

This guidance below may help you. Although for the SpeedStream 5100b, the SpeedStream 4100 is supposedly configured the same:

formatting link

Reply to
John Hale

Some network providers use PPPoA modems others use Bridged modems. Do you know which yours is, do you know what your provider supports?

Reply to
cosdocs

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.