My Verizon DSL Home Network on Linksys won't connect to Internet

I've been scratching my head on this one for a week now. I can't seem to get more than one computer on my network to connect to the internet when I am hooked up to a router. I've tried 2 different routers and no change. I'm using Verizon DSL with a Westell 2100 dsl modem and a Linksys BEFSR41 router. Each of my computers runs a different OS, which I know can be difficult to network, but I've done this successfully before without this much trouble.

Here's my config:

Router Config: Set up to connect via PPPoE with username & password. DHCP is set to enable and a starting IP address is defined.

Router Connections:

-- Westell Modem ethernet is plugged in to slot #1 of the router. Light is green.

-- My iBook is in slot #2, light is green

-- Windows XP laptop is in slot #3, light is green

-- Linux computer ( running Knoppix ) is in slot #4, light is green

Computer Configs: Main Computer ( Mac iBook running OS X )

-- set up to obtain IP dynamically

-- gets a successful internet connection when hooked up either to the modem or the router. Gets assigned an IP address starting with 75.*

-- I am not able to bring up the router or modem config in a browser with this machine

2) Windows XP laptop (This is my laptop provided by my employer. I do not have adequate permission to install any software on this computer, but I am able to alter some of the connection settings.)

-- I plug in to the router, and I get an IP address assigned starting like 192.168.1.*

-- I cannot access the Internet, but I can access the router config page

3) Linux (Knoppix running Kernel 2.6-2)

--I run the network card config app and specify DHCP. The app finds the card and assigns it an IP address similar to the one my Windows XP machine gets.

-- I get the same behavior as my Windows machine when try to access the Internet or the Router setup page.

Why won't my other machines let me connect to the Internet?

Reply to
tech.witch
Loading thread data ...

Well, I was able to figure this problem out myself with the help of many of the articles here. Here's what I did:

1) Held down the reset button on the modem for about 30 seconds, then power cycled the modem 2) Pluged the ethernet cable from the modem into the Internet (WAN) slot. 3) Reconfigured the router to obtain IP address automatically; set local DHCP to enable 4) Rebooted all attached computers 5) On the Mac, I created a new Location, which connected Using TCPIP/DHCP. I had to switch it from DHCP, to manual, back to DHCP to get it to give me a new ip address. The IP address changed from the 75.* address to one that looked like the router's 192.168.* 6) On the Linux box, I ran the network card config again with the default setting to use DHCP. 7) Booted up the Win XP machine. Made the connection with no changes

It took about 60 seconds, but afte that everything finally came up.

Reply to
tech.witch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.