Multiple DSL Lines on single system

Hi,

If I have two nics in my system and two dsl lines (each with a static ip), one for each nic .. Now if I am surfing the Internet, which line would be used?

Reply to
chivalc
Loading thread data ...

In very general terms, the default or "first". But this can and does vary by OS and can vary by OS version.

Reply to
DLR

| Hi, | | If I have two nics in my system and two dsl lines (each with a static | ip), one for each nic .. Now if I am surfing the Internet, which line | would be used?

I don't think the PC can work with two PPPoE clients simultaneously.

I suggest the following instead...

The Edimax PermaLink PRI-682

formatting link
has two WAN ports and performs load balancing.

And the NetGear FVS124GNA ProSafe VPN FireWall 25 with 4-port Gb/s E-Switch and Dual WAN ports

Reply to
David H. Lipman

If the PC operates under BSD or Linux, then of course it can. It is also possible to direct certain traffic to a particular connection. Of course the average Verizon/MS-Windows "consumer" would never do such things and is far better off with your suggested router solution.

Reply to
biggerdigger

As can Windows.

As it is with Windows.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Greetings,

Its impossible to say given the limited information you have supplied. As a minimum you would need to provide details about - 1. Exactly HOW each DSL service is delivered to your LAN (EG via individual Routers or via a shared Router), 2. What Network specific (IE Router or Routers) configuration is being used, 3. Is there a Firewall device between the LAN and the WAN (and if so what type and how is it configured), 4. What specific PC IP configurations are being used, 5. Is any traffic shaping being applied to your setup.

The simplistic reply ASSUMING you have no specific WAN sharing configuration, and based on the details you provide is - 1. All OUTBOUND traffic would exit via your PCV's DEFAULT GATEWAY address, unless the TARGET was directly connected to your other NIC.. 2. Which path was used for INBOUND traffic would depend on how your ISP's had configured their feeds to your system.

Cheers............pk.

Reply to
Peter

Depends on your Gateway configuration.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

True, with an add on product. See also google "windows internet traffic shaping", not to be confused with "TCP window(s) size". Free BSD and Linux distributions include these features, at no charge.

Reply to
biggerdigger

No additional products required.

You can bind to an interface, fool with the routing tables or use other methods of selecting from among multiple interfaces just as in most flavors or clones of U*ix.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

You may find the following web sites very interesting:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
This goes far beyond a trivial configuration via a routing table. And no, MS Windows cannot do that without additional products.

Reply to
biggerdigger

Do any of your suggested Web sites have anything to do with the original poster's problem?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Possibly. Does this bother you?

Reply to
biggerdigger

snipped-for-privacy@moose.jlab.org (biggerdigger) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

You don't know?

Why do you bother?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

As other people pointed out before, there is just not enough information in the original posting to give a definite answer. Nevertheless, these are viable options. And quite frankly, I do not care whether you comprehend all information given to you, or not.

Reply to
biggerdigger

snipped-for-privacy@moose.jlab.org (biggerdigger) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Oh my.

You're one of ->those people.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.