Microfilters and splitters

Hey all,

I'm planning to get ADSL but here in NZ, the telco doesn't allow customers to buy splitters so I'm planning to use on microfilter for the whole house. I won't be able to install it at the point where the telephone line 'attaches' to my house so it will be along my house wiring for a while and I'll then install the microfilter indoors. I know it's optimal to install a splitter at the box where the line enters my house but as that's property of my telco and is outdoors, it's not a good idea even if I did have a splitter. The good thing is my house uses a star config and all the lines to the other rooms come from the living room. Therefore, I can install a microfilter in the living room an attach all the lines to the microfilter. I'll get a microfilter with a DSL out of course and then take the DSL out to my DSL line. From reading, up there should be no problem if I attach everything correctly but does anyone disagree?

Is there any real difference between a splitter and microfilter with DSL out other then the obvious fact that microfilters have sockets and are intended for indoor use only while splitters generally have places to attach wires and are suitable for outdoor use?

Thanks all

Reply to
Nil Einne
Loading thread data ...

I believe the microfilter is succeptible to capacitance, so it can only support two or maybe three devices. You should really use a separate microfilter at each jack. I have 5 plus a wall plate, but I am in the U.S. I can hand-deliver them if you pay the airfare :)

Reply to
Alan

Maybe. If you have all electronic rings on the line, and never pick up too many extensions at once, then probably.

If you have any traditional ringers, phones without external power supplies, or pick up a bunch of unpowered phones at the same time you might blow the microfilter.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

The "short" answer is - using a single microfilter will work fine - doing it myself. zaj

Reply to
zaj

Really, "...support two or maybe three devices..." ?

Let's see, 1500/384 Verizon ADSL, one microfilter connected to harmonica

1- Supra v.92 modem PC #1 2- Supra v.90 modem PC #2 3- ASAP TF-555 FAX switch 4- AT&T telephone 5- GE answering machine 6- Bell Atlantic Caller ID display

95~97% rated speed.

Dave

Reply to
David H. Lipman

If you are so far from the CO it is worth testing to see if inside wiring/equipment is degrading DSL performance. Connect the DSL modem directly to the test jack at the Telco NID. If speed improves a POTS/DSL splitter should help.

A splitter prevents inside wiring and equipment from degrading DSL performance, but it can't create signal at the Telco NID. If you don't have enough signal at the NID a splitter will not help. Splitter electrical performance is better then microfilter, 3 stage passive filter vs single stage, so it does better job isolating DSL from ordinary telephone service and eliminates the need for microfilters at each non-DSL device.

I use the Siecor external POTS/DSL splitter

formatting link
$ALL/COP-67-EN/$FILE/COP-67-EN.pdfIt is mounted between the NID and phone wiring. The data terminals are run directly to the DSL modem. If your NID is outside you may want to think about putting a second test disconnect inside and mounting the Splitter next to it. This makes troubleshooting much easier during the winter here in the North East. If you are really going for broke think about installing secondary lightning protectors near the splitter.

A caution when using a splitter with a home alarm system, the "data" terminals are directly connected to the phone line. Be careful to only connect a DSL modem. If you plug in a phone to the data terminal it will work but the alarm will not be able to seize the line if the phone is in use.

Another benefit of the Siecor splitter is it includes a half-ringer test circuit located after the filter. This is used to create a test signature for automated line testing, but it represents an unfiltered load on DSL. Using a splitter allows the test-circuit in the NID to be removed. If your signal is marginal this may also improve performance.

Here is a link to my home office wiring closet with a POTS/DSL splitter.

formatting link
/Tom

Reply to
Tom Schmidt

The only decently price broadband here is 256/128k. There are plans to offer 512/128k next year supposedly but that is still a moment away. Although untested, my telco has reported my line should support at least 2 mbits so speed is not really that much of an issue provided the connect is reliable (no frequent disconnects)

Okay thanks for clarificatio. I actually had plans to install the microfilter at a central point. Will this work? Some people have suggested the microfilter will blow but others claim it's fine...

formatting link
$ALL/COP-67-EN/$FILE/COP-67-EN.pdf> It is mounted between the NID and phone wiring. The data terminals are run

Unfortunately, the only way I can get a splitter is by getting my telco to install one. They do not allow them to be sold here and I can't import them from overseas since even if they work, they will be in violation of my agreement with my telco.

Not a problem here

My telco only has own brand of splitter, had a page for it but seem to have lost that... Don't think it's Siecor though.

Reply to
Nil Einne

In most cases a Microfilter should be fine. It is less effective then a splitter but that is only important if the line is marginal. The other concern, as other have pointed out, is if you have a lot of phones. In that case ringing current may damage the filter or temporally saturate filter magnetics causing DSL to drop during ring.

/Tom

Reply to
Tom Schmidt

Point taken - however, I might also become tall, good looking, thin and young at the same time - with as much probability. :>)

Reply to
zaj

We used to see this all the time, especially in fringe areas (where the microfilter would begin to fail and would start to interfere with the ADSL signal) -- Then we were eaten by the telco.

*shrugs*

Is it honestly that hard to put a microfilter on each phone?

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.