Max Number DSL Filters Question

My sister's house (Bellsouth in Gainesville FL) has seven telephones and she is considering going to DSL. The maximum recommended number of in-house phone filters that will permit the DSL signal to operate is five before you should consider an ADSL NID POTS splitter to isolate the whole house. I do not know how many wire feet she is from the switch. My question is this: how many individual phone filters/splitters have you successfully used in a residential installation and had acceptable DSL service? Is it true that the more filters/splitter you have in the house the slower the DSL throughput will be? If you have too many will it start to degrade high frequency audio in the regular POTS? Thanks...

Reply to
Harvey
Loading thread data ...

When I got DSL I decided to use one POT splitter for the whole house. What I did was take one splitter and cut the connector ends off of it. Then I soldered on regular phone wires on in place of the connectors. I next went to Radio Shack and purchased two small terminal blocks. Where the phone service comes into the basement I attached it to one of the terminal blocks and on this block I attached my DSL phone line. I then used my modified POT splitter as a jumper to provide phone service to my second terminal block. On the second terminal block I attached my seven phone lines.

It's been work>My sister's house (Bellsouth in Gainesville FL) has seven telephones and she

Reply to
-Stephen-

I had problems with Caller ID not workinmg on some phones. I went with a splitter at the NID and never looked back. DSL signal was better, too. Only way to go.

Reply to
Alan

Right. She will probably go that way except to have Bellsouth install the splitter at the house. But I wanted to know the experience of those who installed filters on each phone.

Reply to
Harvey

To directly answer your question, before I put a splitter at our NID, I had

8 filters installed without any problems.
Reply to
Marilyn and Bob

We have two phone lines, with the Ameritech/SBC/Yahoo DSL on the second line. We have a two-line filter on each of the three two-line phones. We have a fourth single line filter on our fax machine, which operates off of our second phone line. We are satisfied with the performance. I am measuring a 1.3 mbps down out of a rated 1.5 mbps -- we are about a mile from the central exchange. I am measuring 308 kbps out of a rated

384 kbps. We have a couple of other one line phones on the first line with no filters. They don't get used much, but anyway they shouldn't interfere with the DSL on the second line, even though the two lines are in the same bundle.
Reply to
OliverS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.