Looking for DSL provider in McKinney TX

I am looking for a DSL provider in McKinney Texas. I've checked dslreports.com, but the search for providers for my area code & prefix brings up a list of 363 ISPs, the 1st 6 being "No Name Stored". Obviously, this is not a very useful function. Is there a more useful way to find a provider?

My local phone service is with SBC and they sent out a mailer several months ago saying DSL is now available in my area. I'd like to find out if I have any alternatives other than SBC. There are other ISPs that can provide service other than SBC, right? Not ruling out SBC, but I want to make an informed choice.

Also, the on-line prequalification I've done to check availability indicates that DSL is available, but note that I am over 20000 feet from the CO, so service may not be as fast. Is there a more reliable test that can be done without actually ordering, to know what speed I can get BEFORE I make a decision?

TIA

Mark

Reply to
Mark
Loading thread data ...

Mark,

I'm in Plano and had better luck with dslreports ... I'd suggest trying Covad and/or Speakeasy (covad.com / speakeasy.net) with the disclaimer that they will try to sell you more than you need. Certainly call SBC (or Verizon) and ask as many questions as you can think of. Presumeably you are looking for ADSL, but ask about availability of other types of DSL (like IDSL, SDSL, etc.). They won't offer them unless asked. Challenge their numbers, if you see a technician working on a phone company switchbox in your neighborhood stop and ask questions (They can be very friendly and informative about what's REALLY available in your area -- the people on the phone are just reading a script, not looking at what's really there).

Good luck!

dj

Mark wrote:

Reply to
dj

Another ISP search engine at

formatting link
be worth a look at.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Thanks. I did call Speakeasy and was told that they could not provide service at a competitive price because SBC uses RTs in my area, and that SBC is not obligated to share RTs as they would be if the service came directly from the CO. They offered me some slower (144k) service at a higher price or T1 at a much higher price. He wasn't trying to sell me anything, he was just being honest and helpful.

I'll probably go with SBC. They have a special rate for 6 months, and even after that it looks like it will be cheaper than my cable. A neighbor has SBC and is happy with it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.