Looking for an ADSL Router, parallel printer port, VPN passthrough

My need is to buy an ADSL Router with a parallel printer port, and VPN passthrough support for both IPSEC and PPTP. I have found these current choices so far:

Zonet ZSR0104DE 10/100Mbps 4-Port Cable/DSL Router w/Parallel Port Print Server

Netgear FR114PUK Broadband Firewall Router + Parallel Port

SMC70008ABR Cable/DSL Router W/8-PT Switch

If anyone has any experience with these routers and how well they work with VPN, or can suggest another ADSL router which has a parallel printer port and VPN passthrough which works well, I would love to hear about it. Thank you !

Reply to
Edward Diener
Loading thread data ...

| My need is to buy an ADSL Router with a parallel printer port, and VPN | passthrough support for both IPSEC and PPTP. I have found these current | choices so far: | | Zonet ZSR0104DE 10/100Mbps 4-Port Cable/DSL Router w/Parallel Port Print | Server | | Netgear FR114PUK Broadband Firewall Router + Parallel Port | | SMC70008ABR Cable/DSL Router W/8-PT Switch | | If anyone has any experience with these routers and how well they work | with VPN, or can suggest another ADSL router which has a parallel | printer port and VPN passthrough which works well, I would love to hear | about it. Thank you !

I don't have a model # for you but some advice...

Make sure whatever device you get with a Print Server, make sure that parallel port supports bidirectional communications as some printers require it to work properly.

Otherwise I suggest getting a HP JetDirect Print Server.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

port supports

Thanks for the advice.

I need DSL router support and I only have a single network connection from each PC.

Reply to
Edward Diener

| | Thanks for the advice. |

| | I need DSL router support and I only have a single network connection | from each PC.

A JetDirect Print Server will connect to one LAN port on the Router and has nothing to do with if you use DSL, Cable or ISDN. If you use a Router with 8 LAN ports and have four computers, the HP JetDirect will use a 5th LAN port.

As always I suggest blocking TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any* SOHO Router.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

nothing to do

Now I understand. Thanks ! The JetDirect Print Server is pretty expensive, however, compared to the price of a router with a parallel printer port already on it.

Why is this ? Are these ports liable to outside attacks ?

Reply to
Edward Diener

| | Now I understand. Thanks ! The JetDirect Print Server is pretty | expensive, however, compared to the price of a router with a parallel | printer port already on it. |

| | Why is this ? Are these ports liable to outside attacks ?

Yes, the HP JetDirect is more expensive. However, the management capabilities and the quality of the product is high. That is it works, and works very well. However, there are "other" TCP/IP Print Servers for less money. Just make sure the Print Server you get supports bidirectional printer communications.

I don't know what OS you will use nor how many computers but the majority use a Router with at least two computers and many are using MS Windows Operating Systems. MS Networking is based upon NetBIOS over IP and Server Message Blocks. The TCP and UDP ports I suggested,

135 ~ 139 and 445, cover MS Networking. This will block Internet worms and hackers from getting into your MS Networking LAN and help make sure your networking doesn't leak out. It is a simple yet effective security measure.
Reply to
David H. Lipman

Good advice, but most routers include firewall functions that prevent inbound connects to all ports, including 135-139 & 445. So that just leaves trojans who use them for outbound. Still, worth blocking.

I go one step further. I block outbound 25! This SMTP port is very valuable for zombie spam relay trojans. Of course, you then need to send email via port 587 and is only possible if your ISP's mail relay cooperates and you can set your email software to use it.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.