Linksys PPPoE problems with SBC Yahoo

I have the BEFSR11 router. Everything was working fine for the longest time.

Now it cannot connect to PPPoE. I have tried both - doing the keepalive and using the connect on demand option.

I have to powercycle the router and the modem for it to start working again.

I called SBC and they have no outages. I will get it working and then it will stop working after 1 1/2 days.

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
nyclamusician
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for the quick reply.

Firmware Date : 8/30/2004 Firmware Versi> From:

working

Reply to
nyclamusician

the acct/pwd are valid.

Alright reset it once. Worked fine for 2 days. Then stopped working.

How will the hub help the PPPoE login process?

Reply to
nyclamusician

| I have the BEFSR11 router. Everything was working fine for the longest | time. | | Now it cannot connect to PPPoE. I have tried both - doing the | keepalive and using the connect on demand option. | | I have to powercycle the router and the modem for it to start working | again. | | I called SBC and they have no outages. I will get it working and then | it will stop working after 1 1/2 days. | | Any help is appreciated.

What is the FirmWare version of the Linksys BEFSR11 ? http://192.168.1.1/Status.htm

Reply to
David H. Lipman

I would suggest going to the Setup Page of the router, down where it has the PPOE options.

If the Max Idle Time has anything other than zero minutes then set it to 00, might even be worth a try to set it to something like 30 and hit reply and then change it back to 00 and hit reply again in case something is stuck in the memory of the router but hidden from sight.

You might consider enabling the Connect on Demand option. This will tell the router to re-establish your connection to your ISP when ever your computer tries to access the internet, if it has gone down due to a time out from your end or from your ISP's end.

And like someone else mentioned, verify the user name and password are correct. I know some ISP's require the user name plus the @sbc.com or some other suffix as part of the user name.

One last thought might be to clone your PC's MAC address into the WAN port of the router. There are still some ISP's out there that register your pc's NIC card MAC address when you first join and keep kicking off people who later add a router for NAT firewall protection (or to add another computer to the network) which would present them with a different MAC address unless you change (clone) it to match your PC's.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

| Thanks for the quick reply. | | Firmware Date : 8/30/2004 | Firmware Version : 1.46.2

Well that's the latest FirnWare. The question then is is the PPPoE authentication accoount and password correct and valid ?

Write down the configuration setttings of the Router. Reset the Router by the reset button and it should loose all its configuration settings and return to the default settings. Using the written down settings reconfigure the Router and manually and the PPPoE authentication account and password again.

If that doesn't work you either have a wiring problem or the Router has a problem. If you know what you are doing and have a PC and hub you can put a hub in-between the WAN port of the Linksys and the LAN port of the DSL modem. You can then use Etyereal to examine the PPPoE authentication packets. However, that's a lot of work and you would have to have experience doing so.

Maybe you can borrow a Router from a friend ?

Reply to
David H. Lipman

| the acct/pwd are valid. | | Alright reset it once. Worked fine for 2 days. Then stopped working. | | How will the hub help the PPPoE login process?

That would allow you to tap the Ethernet communications to use Ethereal and perform packet capturing and analysis of PPPoE authentication packets.

DSL modem | LAN port | | | | [hub]---------PC with Ethereal and promiscuous NIC | | | | WAN port Linksys BEFSR11

If you reset the Router and it worked for two days and then it failed, I have low confidence on the Router. Try a temp. replacement and see how it works. It a temp. replacement does work, junk the BEFSR11 and buy a new Router.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Cloning the MAC should not be necessary for PPPoE. But what may be an issue is what modem is being used and whether its config somehow changed during a power glitch. For example 5100b by default does the PPPoE and hands out a private DHCP address on its LAN side. However, if the OP has an older 5360 or 5100a (4 LEDs), that would not be the issue unless the modem is failing. I once had an intermittant glitch where a cable plug was not quite seated in the modem.

Reply to
David Efflandt

I think the modem is failing...

I tried switching the router to a netgear wireless I had around the house - it didn't work. To me that says that not all routers support PPPoE even though my config was set to obtain IP automatically and to use a username and password...

I tried plugging in the modem directly into the computer to use XP's PPPoE broadband connection -and got the error that my first router was giving me - PPPoE fail, so it's gotta be the modem which is a 5360.

Any suggestions on what to do with a failing modem?

Reply to
nyclamusician

Would a firmware update help?

Reply to
nyclamusician

Just called SBC Yahoo and they said it was a line problem that they are working on, so it's not the modem I guess.

Reply to
nyclamusician

| I think the modem is failing... | | I tried switching the router to a netgear wireless I had around the | house - it didn't work. To me that says that not all routers support | PPPoE even though my config was set to obtain IP automatically and to | use a username and password... | | I tried plugging in the modem directly into the computer to use XP's | PPPoE broadband connection -and got the error that my first router was | giving me - PPPoE fail, so it's gotta be the modem which is a 5360. | | Any suggestions on what to do with a failing modem?

There ya go, process of elimination testing. Get a new DSL modem from your ISP. I doubt firmware will help.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

| Just called SBC Yahoo and they said it was a line problem that they are | working on, so it's not the modem I guess.

Good Luck !

Reply to
David H. Lipman
** UPDATE ***

Nothing was wrong with the line.

Modem is the problem. SBC doesn't want to replace it because I have had it for longer than a year.

I need a new one. Any recommendations?

Reply to
nyclamusician

Got the modem.

Its working. Regarding the router - should it be set to connect on demand on redial every x ?

Reply to
nyclamusician

Speedstream 5300. Best buy had only one that coincidentally had SBC Yahoo DSL logo.

What I am trying to accomplish is for the router to stay always connected so that the IP doesn't change as often.

Reply to
nyclamusician

| ** UPDATE *** | | Nothing was wrong with the line. | | Modem is the problem. SBC doesn't want to replace it because I have | had it for longer than a year. | | I need a new one. | Any recommendations?

It depends on the specifications of the network. Contact SBC and ask them what are the preferred make and models.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

| Got the modem. | | Its working. Regarding the router - should it be set to connect on | demand on redial every x ?

I set my Linksys BEFSR81 to connect on demand, Max. idle time= 60 mins.

I have a couple of computers behind the Linksys and they run 24x7.

What make and model modem did you get ?

Reply to
David H. Lipman

| Speedstream 5300. Best buy had only one that coincidentally had SBC | Yahoo DSL logo. | | What I am trying to accomplish is for the router to stay always | connected so that the IP doesn't change as often.

That is controlled by the ISP. Nothing you can do about it. The IP assihnment can change connected to or not connected to the ISP.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

There are a number of modems in the Siemens/Speedstream 5300 family, so I won't comment specifically on the modem.

I'm on SBC/Yahoo DSL, using a Speestream 5200 (often referred to as

5200B version). I use "smart keep alive" connection mode (in the modem, perhaps not available in your system), and it is up 24/7. I average an IP number change about every 20 days with that setup. Sometimes, but rarely, there may be 2 or 3 changes in a day or two, sometimes a number holds for up to 30 days--as I recall, 32 is the max I've seen.

Just FYI, YMMD.

Reply to
BobT

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.