Linksys BEFSX41 vs Netgear RP614

I hope someone can help. Linksys BEFSX41 is about two time more expensive that Netgear RP614. Why should i take Linksys. It seems they have the same features. Thanks antonio

Reply to
abc01101
Loading thread data ...

Linksys is also a firewall (I know, bring on the controversy). But still, it is advertised as a firewall, the Netgear is not.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Frank, they both have firewall.

Reply to
abc01101

When not on sale they are likely similar in price. But make sure you get the latest. With the 614 I think it's up to v6 or v7. Tiger Direct and other tend to sell older versions cheap. You get what you pay for.

Reply to
DLR

Netgear: ("NAT firewall" - same as any router)

formatting link
Linksys: ("stateful inspection firewall" - not same as any router)
formatting link

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Sorry, better link for Linksys..

formatting link

-Frank

formatting link

Reply to
Frankster

Hardware is at v. 3; firmware is at v. 6. Firmware, of course, is easy to upgrade if out of date.

Reply to
BobT

I have had a Linksys BEFSR41 that I am quite happy with for many years. I used to recommend them.

BUT THEN!!! Last year a friend bought one (newer version, I don't remember if it was a rev 2 or 3 BEFSR41 or if it was the BEFSX41), and had terrible problems. Never actually got it to work at all! She thought it was broken and returned it for a replacement. Same symptoms (sorry, I don't remember the details, couldn't get it to function at all as a PPPOE router.) She finally accepted my offer to help (was really getting desperate), and I couldn't get it to work either. I then did some research on the net, and discovered both problems we were encountering were well know, and that a beta version of the firmware that fixed them (but may have caused some other problems) had been released well over a year previously. Here's the kicker. The new firmware had never been released and the current version, still on the Linksys web site, was the broken version. I can see a few months for shaking down a new version, but over a year? And this wasn't something obscure, it rendered it inoperable in a very common environment (Verizon DSL using PPPOE.)

She took it back, traded it in for a different brand (DLink, I think) and had the replacement installed and running in 10 minutes.

So I can't in good conscience recommend Linksys any more.

(Sorry I don't remember the details of the problem, but I'm sure I posted this before. Google is your friend.)

Reply to
John Santos

Thanks. How much is this firewall (NAT/SI) good idea. Do i need it if i use ZA.

Reply to
abc01101

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.