is this possible?

When the world was normal, I believe dsl small business internet connections are done through a local phone company to the ISP, but I don't want a normal world. I want to have an ISP in America although living outside of America. To make a dsl connection where an American phone company doesn't cover my country, would this be possible? With what technology in the internet age? Would I need two phone lines, a local one and an American one or just one and which if only one? Would I be charged for long-distance even if i don't make phone calls? This is for small business internet connectivity

Reply to
davidodimegwu
Loading thread data ...

DSL is a technology for delivery of data services over copper wire. It is design so that it main application is Internet service via copper phone lines.

I think your basic question is how to get an business class Internet service.

For a large number of reasons, in most counties Internet service is limited to companies operating in that country. And while DSL is a reasonable choice in the US, it may not be in other countries. Or it may.

Basically if you want Internet service in an area, see what's available in that area at what cost.

Reply to
DLR

Reply to
davidodimegwu

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 8/28/2006 9:21 AM:

You cannot get an American phone line outside of America. DSL is tied to copper physically, so the American phone company would have to own, support and offer dsl on that copper.

The previous poster was saying you cannot do what you want, and to just look for the best offering that is found in your area.

You are trying to buy a Ford at a Nissan dealer. Hopefully those two arent the same company and you get my point.

Jim

Jim

Reply to
Jim

While you may be able to get a U.S. phone number through something like VOIP, that does NOT mean that you can get a U.S. DSL ISP (since that is hard wired to your location). I don't know if any international ISP's (like AOL/Compuserve) could provide DSL through your local phone connection. But if you get business class service through a local provider, you could always register your own .com .net or other domain to point to your IP(s). Whether reverse DNS (IP to name) would work for your domain depends whether your ISP (provider) will do that for you, or allow you to delegate to yourself (if you know how to serve DNS) or a 3rd party DNS hosting service.

It is easy to find a DNS hosting service to point a fixed name (or multiple domains) at any IP (even services for dynamic IP's). But your ISP ultimately controls IP to name lookup, and you need their cooperation to change that.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.