If Verzion/formerly GTE can't provide DSL, can others?

One of my friends recently told me "... AT&T has local phone service now. I researched this. They overlay Verizon and SBC areas..."

I thought each phone company has a monopoly in each city/town. Basically in his and my areas, we have Verizon telephone services (used to be GTE). We both tried AT&T's DSL service finders online, and they resulted we can get it. However, I am suspicious about that.

However, how accurate is this? Is it true that competitors can give us DSL services? We live east of Los Angeles where SBC (used to be PacBell), Verizon (formerly GTE), and AT&T roam.

For me in the past, Verizon and GTE said I was about 20K ft. from the central office (CO). I have been checking this since the Y2K or maybe the late 90s, and all results not passed even if their Web sites, OK. Even Covad and other ISPs (e.g., EarthLink, MM Internet, etc.) said no. FiOS isn't here either.

If it is true that telephone competitors can provide services, then will I have better chances to get DSL services or am I still stuck with the same old distance issue like before?

Thank you in advance. :)

Reply to
ANTant
Loading thread data ...

researched this.

and my areas, we

service finders

services? We live

AT&T roam.

office (CO). I

not passed even if

etc.) said no.

better chances

You are probably stuck with thre distance issue, but you might try DSLExtreme.

FYI, SBC bought what was left of AT&T, and renamed itself to AT&T. There is no longer an SBC.

Reply to
Shel

researched this.

his and my areas, we

service finders

services? We live

and AT&T roam.

office (CO). I

not passed even if

etc.) said no.

have better chances

In the past (forgot to mention it) and just now, it said T1 and/or Bonded T1 is available. I don't have that type of money for that connection. I am only a residential user. I tried two different phone numbers of this house.

Oh well, back to the expensive cable modem service. :I

Oh, it already happened. Thanks.

Do you know if my friend's information above is true or not?

Reply to
ANTant

is available.

user. I tried

99.99999% of all DSL goes through the local phone companies wires and thus back to their CO. Thus even though you can get DSL from 3rd parties, the "last mile" is via the local phone company. If your wire is too long, then it's too long.

T1 and other higher end services will put repeaters in as needed to make things work. $$$$

At one point a few years ago, AT&T decided to resell local service but again the last mile was via your local phone company.

Sounds like you're on cable until the phone company decides to put in what are called remote terminals. Basically these are small unmanned repeater stations where phone, DSL, and other connections can terminate before being routed back to a CO, typically over fiber.

Reply to
DLR

Per snipped-for-privacy@zimage.com:

better chances

Verizon is installing fiber in some areas. They just did ours last year.

Might be worth a call to Verizon to find out if your area is on their list for anytime in the near future.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

is available.

user. I tried

Yeah, it has been like that forever. I think cable modem service was available in 2001 with @Home.

Reply to
ANTant

have better chances

I already mentioned that FiOS wasn't available in my original post. And for future plans, none yet. :(

Reply to
ANTant

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.