If I can ping, why can't I PCAnywhere?

Hi,

I'm trying to access a remote PC that's on a dynamic DSL (Qwest) using either PCAnywhere or MS Remore Desktop Connection. I can ping to the remote PC using both the IP address and myname.dyndns.org. I cannot get either PCAnywhere or Remote Desktop Connection to work.

If I can ping to my remote PC why can't I connect? What's the advantage of using myname.dyndns.org, if any?

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
sduraybito
Loading thread data ...

you might need to forward ports depending on what ports you are using.

Reply to
rocker2002

Thanks for your reply. Do I forward ports on the router or the PC? I'm using a Cisco 675. Do I need a static IP or can I port forward my current dynamic IP?

Peter

Reply to
sduraybito

If you can ping the ip of your router than you should be able to use PCAnywhere by forwarding ports 5631 and 5632 to the client machine on your lan through the router. Make sure you setup PCAnywhere with a strong password.

Reply to
HostingUser

If your Cisco 675 is doing PPPoE on server end, you need to have it forward whatever incoming ports are necessary to the private LAN IP of the server. You also have to make sure that the server itself is not firewalling those ports. Not sure what ports those apps use, but you better make sure they have good passwords if they are open to the internet.

I use more secure ssh to connect to home (or scp to copy files) using no-ip.com dynamic DNS. But I would not know where to find an ssh server for Windows (I do use PuTTY ssh client when doing Windows).

Reply to
David Efflandt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.