If connected directly, router can't talk to DSL modem

Hello all,

I had a working setup where my wireless router+firewall (SMC Barricade) connected directly to my SBC Yahoo DSL modem. The router was setup to obtain a DHCP address from the DSL modem.

In the last few days, the router fails to obtain a DHCP address from the modem. The green light next to the ethernet port on the router and the DSL modem doesn't light up which indicates that the ethernet ports are not connected.

The router can obtain a DHCP address from the modem if connected thru an ethernet hub. Can someone explain why they can't talk to each other if connected directly but can if connected thru' a hub?

thanks for your time. Raj.

Reply to
raja.rajendran
Loading thread data ...

Are you using a normal patch cable (or crossover cable, which would be the wrong type for that). Have you tried a different cable? Once when I thought my modem was acting up, one of the cable plugs was not quite seated in the jack.

You may be able to get more help from SMC forum on

formatting link
alias
formatting link
(include SMC model and firmware version).

My primary experience with SMC was a flaky wireless router (7004AWBR). One of its numerous problems was that it refused to autonegotiate speed with any laptop PC card nic, 16-bit or cardbus, unless I forced the nic down to 10baseT speeds (full-duplex worked). SMC never could fix its faults with firmware upgrades. Its only usefulness was its power brick when the one on our SonicWall at work failed.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Raj,

even though you dont list your dsl modem brand, your dsl modem appears to have routing functionality & running 2router back-to-back can be grounds for a lobotomy... if applicable, set the dsl modem in a "bridged" mode, set the smc to run pppoe and let the smc router do the routing.

P2E.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Wrote:

Reply to
Press2Esc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.