How to check speed of the ADSL connection

Hi,

I would like to know how can you check if you are getting the right speed for your ADSL connection or not?

There are lot of websites that do the speed test for you and different websites show different results.

Is there a relation between the Transfer rate while downloading and the speed of the adsl connection. If yes then what should be the transfer rate for a 2Mbps connection.

How can once manually (not using speed tests on websites) find out the speed of the ADSL connection.

Any insight into this will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

~anthony

Reply to
Anthony
Loading thread data ...

Realize that any speed quote that you get from any provider, be it cable or DSL, is based on what they can typically provide you from your home to the nearest facility point -- a node for cable modem customers and the central office for DSL customers.

DSL customers do indeed get provisioned at the CO for what they sign up for. That's why some tout that as an advantage of DSL, which in theory it is, but in practicality, that's mitigated by the fact that DSL connections are usually slower than what people receive through a cable connection.

All this is a way of saying that there's no real conclusive way to test your speed. The best method is to take an FTP site that is known for performing well and doing a direct download of a file from that site. You can get indications of FTP site performance from several download sites, such as CNET's download.com.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

Read the documentation for your router or modem. Almost all of them have a way to tell you the line rate. For example, on mine, the command is 'show dsl' and it produces output like this:

Downstream Upstream ---------- ---------- SNR Margin: 29.00 16.00 dB Line Attenuation: 41.50 23.00 dB Output Power: 7.10 7.39 dB Errored Seconds: 0 0 Loss of Signal: 0 0 Loss of Frame: 0 0 CRC Errors: 85 1 Data Rate: 3008 512

Notice this says that my downstream rate is 3.008Mbps and my upstream rate is 512Kbs.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

start with this test

formatting link
it's VERY accurate to what you have your machine set up as.

here's what i get 3 miles from my Central Office. TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.3.3e click START to begin Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 382.49Kb/s running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 1.39Mb/s Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem Alarm: Duplex mismatch condition exists: Host set to Full and Switch set to Half duplex

(yes I see I have a problem)

then

formatting link
then go here and find out how to optimize your machine to get the best results
formatting link
last have a nice day.

Reply to
rtcy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.