How could a landline be re-routed?

this happened to me.. i kept getting calls from one phone number always at times i was not home. i kept trying it for months until one day i tried it from work. then someone answered it and i heard sounds from the building i was working in! i ran down to where it was and saw an abandoned phone off the hook. someone said an off-premise extension might have been used. It seems as if someone was routing calls through a third party or being intercepted at my house, as many friends, including those with ties to law enforcement, commented on my phone being tapped.

another time i had a lucent digital answering machine that was powered OFF and the phone rang several times. The machine turned ON and an intercom feature in the unit was activated.

i have never had criminal issues so i feel my phone line was violated and wonder what may have happened.

Reply to
seeker
Loading thread data ...

seeker wrote in part:

Most likley fax.spam if you or a previous owner of that number ever had a fax machine on it, or a modem that answered.

The fax.spammer most likely spoofed the Caller-Id with some loopback-type number.

Complain to your CLEC of poor voice quality. At some point they will take you seriously. Earlier if you don't whine.

Many work like this. They turn themselves off, but have a "msg retrieval" function that can kick-in.

If the police wish or have any reason to tap your phone, they will get a warrent and you won't be able to detect the tap. Excellent equipment. The need the warrent to make the information admissible in court. They don't want to get trapped by "fruit of the poisoned vine".

Other people like neightbors, exGFs and landlords probably aren't as sophisticated.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.