How can I access my Router which is on private ip address from ISP

How can I access my Router (one of the Linux machine connected to Router) which is on private ip address from ISP?. This ISP is giving ethernet service to home and they assigns private static ip address for each connection, how can I access that router, which is using private ip addr for wan port. I know the ip address of ISP's router. Thanks.

Reply to
GS
Loading thread data ...

Well, this ISP gives static ip addr (private ip addr) for WAN port, since I need to connect two PC to internet. both are Linux machines. but my WAN ip addr is private ip addr, I need to access my both machines from work, also I need to access my Router from work. If my WAN ip addr is public, then I can directly login to Router, also I can do port redirection to my Linux PC's, in this private IP addr case, how can I access my Linux machines?. Thanks.

Reply to
GS

Sorry, this Router is not supplied by ISP, this is regular Netgear Router.

Reply to
GS

Can you clarify what exactly you are trying to do? Are you trying to access the internal admin web page of the router from one of the PC's behind the router?

What kind of router is it? Was it supplied by your ISP? Typically - the router (WAN) get's it's TCP/IP address via DHCP from the cable / dsl modem, and the PC's behind the router (LAN) get their addresses via DHCP from the router. For a Linksys router - for example - it's default address is http://192.168.1.1 ... when trying to access it from within your network.

It's surprising that you say your ISP is providing static provate IP addresses via the router...

Reply to
riggor99999

If your ISP is really providing a private IP address for your router, then you cannot create a connection to your router unless your ISP supports it. You'll need your ISP to setup something like a port map in their network just for you.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

In article , GS wrote: :Well, this ISP gives static ip addr (private ip addr) for WAN port, :since I need to connect two PC to internet. both are Linux machines. :but my WAN ip addr is private ip addr, I need to access my both :machines from work, also I need to access my Router from work. If my :WAN ip addr is public, then I can directly login to Router, also I can :do port redirection to my Linux PC's, in this private IP addr case, how :can I access my Linux machines?. Thanks.

If you are talking about the setup you used to post the above message, then it appears that you have a perfectly normal public IP address (NNTP-Posting-Host: 68.192.220.199, which translates back to ool-44c0dcc7.dyn.optonline.net) and any "private" IP address you are seeing is most likely being assigned by your router. To access your Linux machines from the WAN you just need to set up port forwarding in your router.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

This is on one side, otherside it it was using private ip addr from ISP, I need to link these two. Do you have any idea?. Thanks

Reply to
GS

Not exactly. The IP address on the external interface (WAN) is assigned by your ISP. The internal, private address is typically assigned by the router itself. Most consumer grade routers use a technique called Network Address Translation (NAT) the translates a single external address to a variable number on private addresses that are used only within your local network. That is the "private" part.

There are several possibilities.

You could turn off the NAT function entirely. In this configuration, the router is really acting as a switch. You would need to have your ISP assign IP addresses for every computer in your house. Most will do this for an extra fee. It also losses the protection that the NAT isolation provides.

You could also turn on port forwarding where specific ports are passed through the router to one of your internal machines. That can be useful if you want to access a service such as a web server, but you will need to determine what ports to forward and understand how to configure your router.

Third, you might be able to put one computer into a DMZ configuration. This means that the computer is connected through the router but is exposed to the WAN.

Reply to
Robert L. Haar

Robert,

Here, I don't have any problem for accessing net using private ip addr on WAN port, since my LAN subnet addr is different from what WAN port ip addr is using. for example: my wan port is using 192.168.25.234 as ip and 192.168.25.1 as gateway and my LAN is using 192.168.1.2, .3, ... as ip addr for computers and 192.168.1.1 as gateway, this way all of my LAN PC have e-mail access.

Now if I want to access any of my LAN PC from outside (from diff place, I would like to do ssh into my LAN), ISP has to do port forwarding right?. Otherthan port forwarding, can't I access any of local PC's using any freely available VPN solutions.

Thanks

Reply to
GS

You appear to understand the issue. With a Private IP address on the WAN port, this means your ISP is running a private network. Any links between the private network and the public network are completely under your ISP's control. You cannot configure anything on your equipment to solve your problem. You have to ask your ISP to help. Whether or not they will help you depends on the contract you have with them.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

The port forwarding would happen on your router and would not require the ISP to do anything. Read your router manual for more information on how to do this, but you will need to know what ports are used by whatever service you want to run.

No, you still have the same issue unless you establish the VPN connection from inside your private network, that is, your home computer connecting to the remote one, rather than the other way around.

Does you ISP allow you to run a server? Many prohibit it and take steps to block common servers, blocking incoming web traffic or anything that looks like an email server.

Reply to
Robert L. Haar

Robert,

I can turnon port forwarding on my local router no problem, how can I access that Router from outside since Router's WAN ip address is private ip address, to access that Router, I have to my ISP to do port forwarding right?. Without ISP involvement, can I do that?.

Thanks.

Reply to
GS

No.

As I've said three times now, given the information you've shared, you can't do what you want without your ISP's involvement. If you haven't contacted them yet, now is the time to do so.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.