How are telephone layouts set up for DSL?

I did some investigations with

formatting link
... I took a bunch of phone numbers from local stores and neighbors' to look at DSL availability on Verizon's Web site. I wanted to see a pattern in who can get DSL. I do see a pattern. It appears that DSL service is available before (north of it) there is a major street (3 lanes on each side). Below it (south), no one can get it even the Mariott hotel!

Is there a specific layout how telephone lines are laid out for DSL service and requirements? Or is there something in the street to make this DSL availability a show stopper?

FYI, Verizon says I am about 20K ft. from the CO. Everyone, at homes, can't get it either even the next door neightbor with the same main street.

Thank you in advance. :)

Reply to
ANTant
Loading thread data ...

Interesting. Too bad the public do not get to see this layout. Is there a way to convince Verizon to add more remote DSLAMs in remote locations?

Reply to
ANTant

Sounds like you are right near the edge of availability, which is roughly 18kft (give or take 2-4kft).

Telcos don't run cable out in a huge spider-web of wire. Its not very cost effective to do something like that.

Instead they run out cable in a tree pattern, with huge feeder trunks splitting off to smaller trunks, and eventually down to the leaf nodes around the houses.

Things like major roads, railroad tracks, lakes, rivers, etc. are planned around, because its not easy to go through these things, and the major trunks tend to stay away from natural features like this, both for cost, as well as disaster recovery.

Thus, the people across the major road probably are fed off a different trunk line than you are. Yours could backtrack quite a ways out of the way on its way back to the CO crossing the major road at an easy-to-get-across point.

That extra distance is probably what puts you over the limit while the people across the road can get it.

Your best hope is probably to hope for the telco to install remote DSLAMs in remote locations where your trunk feed is going through.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Well, the public don't get to see a car made usually either.. But yeah, I know there's usually a bit more interest in finding that out.

I guess the best way would be to call up and complain and just make a pest of yourself. If they get enough demand, they should start thinking of doing something like that.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.