Homemade cat5 cable using existing phone line fails.

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 14:16:43 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote Re Re: Homemade cat5 cable using existing phone line fails.:

This thread has got me thinking of a test I want to try. I would like to make a CAT5 cable to plug into the NID and run it directly to my DSL modem, a distance of about 20'. Obviously, I need RJ11 connectors on both sides. Would this work? If so what 4 wires of the CAT5 cable would I use with the RJ11s; or is there some kind of RJ45 to RJ11 converter that I could use for this?

Reply to
Vic Dura
Loading thread data ...

That works too, but using different twist rates eliminates the need for offsets, which reduce save manufacturing cost.

Reply to
SMS

yes, i have looked at it, i have maintain the machines and worked with the management that are involved in getting the twinning machines set up to run this product. they are all twisted the same rate. the only difference is when the pairs get bunched together, we have a process to make sure they are coupled together at offset points. it must work because it passes all test our engineering department put on it along with QC.

Reply to
Jamie

That why I *always* snip the cable in half - ethernet, phone cord, handset cord....

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Why?

The entire point of DSL signals is to NOT need CAT5. Quad can be bad but it is also bad for voice. I've never seen a speed drop using standard phone cords you pick up a Target, Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, etc...

If you could see some of the T1 wiring that exists you'd realize how well these signals make it down pure junk wiring when compared to CAT5.

Reply to
DLR

Jamie hath wroth:

I didn't know that anyone made teflon CAT5. PTFE has a higher dielectric constant than polyethylene. That means the outside diameter of each pair is smaller for PTFE than for polyethylene. With a smaller diameter, it would be possible to twist all 4 pairs in the opposite direction as the twisted pairs, and have a fairly small number of points of contact. Also, the smaller diameter insures that it will not bloat beyond the 0.250" O.D. limit. However, I see a potential problem making CAT6, where the wires in each pair have to bonded or solvent welded together. PTFE doesn't that too well.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

well then you should notify our engineering staff because they obviously have something wrong. i have seen our competitors wire and they do have their pairs slightly staged in twist. we don't do that , we group the pairs in a special order when bundling them. this grouping apparently gives the same results. in fact while i am composing this, i have open up a cat5 teflon cable made by us and i can say the twist are no more than maybe an 1/8 of inch difference between each other and this is most likely due to the consistency of our twinning machines. i remember years ago when we were optimizing the process it was a big deal on how the pairs were bundled together. the offset position of how these pairs laid together were very important for cross talk issues for tightly bunched cables. we did the same thing when we developed the IBM 590 super cable that had the 12 conductors, that had twisted pairs on the outside of a shielded twin pairs of foam. cross talk was a big issue on that also. actually we did the 590 project first then the CAT5 process was after that.. we were also the first ones in the business to develop the cross linking polyrads for wire! , i wasn't there with them at that time how ever. oh well.

Reply to
Jamie

i can concur with you there, i do remember it was a problem getting things to stay in track, but we end up using a following idler system that would rack the wheel which control a cam following system to shift the angle a bit as the pairs came together.. this works perfectly and allows us to run at a high rate of speed. at the time we came up with this, we have some of the smartest engineers in the business. now adays, a lot of that is going by the waste side.

Reply to
Jamie

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 22:56:21 -0400, DLR wrote Re Re: Homemade cat5 cable using existing phone line fails.:

Thanks for the comments.

I was wondering about the possibility of DSL speed loss associated with using standard phone cords. I thought I might be able to pick up a little speed using CAT5 from the NID to the DSL modem, but that won't be the case as I interpret your comment. Correct?

Reply to
Vic Dura

Yes. Just stay away from Quad.

Our office T1 connection come into the building next door. Then to a 40 year old (maybe older) 50 pair board that looks like a rats nest. Then back across the alley into our building via a 6 or 12 pair BellSouth cable to a 66 block which is our demarc for POTS. (These buildings are all 100 year old warehouses converted to new uses.) Then via a plain pair to the T1 box. This last plain pair at first was stapled to the board in two places and fairly tightly laid over an electrical conduit and through one of MY slotted wire ducts. We yelled about the last point as it was MINE and one we needed to get into a lot so they came back and put it into a Wiremold conduit I laid out for them to avoid my things.

Anyway, the signals designed for the phone circuits are fairly resilient.

Reply to
DLR

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 00:15:38 GMT, in message , DecaturTxCowboy scribed:

Yes, I remember that trick, from long ago in my technician days. It's good practice. We would also do things like smash the legs on bad IC's, things like that. Make sure the bad component *stays* bad.

Reply to
Alan B

This somehow brought back forgotten memories of weird set of my first wife's relatives, from very old (pre-Gold Rush) San Francisco family: bunch of strange, reclusive brothers and sisters all living in big old brown-shingle mansion on Sixth Avenue, up against the Presidio wall. Only 2 out of 7 siblings ever married or left the house, and one of those soon returned to the nest.

Took our small children up to visit them one Christmas. Somehow, a really old electric light bulb was discovered on the top shelf of a kitchen cabinet, with a tag attached by some ancient string bearing two scrawled notes:

"October 14, 1937 -- No good"

and then below this, in different ink:

"August 7, 1943 -- still no good"

Reply to
AES

So, was it still no good?

Reply to
Phil Nelson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.