Help will be appreciated, problems with Verizon DSL

Hello, would appreciate any help or pointers you may have.

I have Verizon DSL without voice since early April.

About two weeks ago, we noticed that the "INTERNET" light on the modem/router turns red, a few times a day lasting about 10 minutes each time. The DSL light also blinks (not in sync) many times a day.

I talked to Westell, the modem manufacturer, and they think it is a problem with the DSL line.

I contacted Verizon DSL technical support numerous times, by phone, online form, online chat. All they would do was to perform connection tests, which did not report any problems. I tried to tell them the DSL connection is not gone completely, just that it would disconnect itself quite frequently.

I have to say that most of the agents I talked to seemed not to have the faintest ideas. They just seem to want to get rid of me without providing any reliefs. When I talked to one agent on the phone, she suggested I send in the problem using the online form. When I sent it in using the online form, the reply e-mail asked me to call them on the phone.

Below is an extract of the log from the modem. We have disabled time out.

We appreciate your kind help. Thank you in advance.

Cheers, Bernard

--------- SUN JUL 09 15:34:21 2006 Setting System clock to Local time SUN JUL 09 15:34:19 2006 SUN JUL 09 15:34:21 2006 PPP CONNECTED on VPI 0 VCI 35 SUN JUL 09 15:34:21 2006 Connecting session(0): Auto Registration due to Manual Connect SUN JUL 09 15:34:12 2006 Disconnecting session(-1): due to PADT received SUN JUL 09 15:34:12 2006 Received PADT for session id 58093 SUN JUL 09 15:34:12 2006 PPP DISCONNECTED on VPI 0 VCI 35 : PPP commanded down SUN JUL 09 15:34:12 2006 Disconnecting session(0): Auto Registration due to dsl Restart SUN JUL 09 15:34:03 2006 US Atten: 27.0 DS Atten: 38.5 SUN JUL 09 15:34:03 2006 US Margin: 10.0 DS Margin: 26.0 SUN JUL 09 15:34:03 2006 US Tx Power: 11.9 DS Tx Power: 9.3 SUN JUL 09 15:34:03 2006 US DSL Rate: 768 kbits/sec DS DSL Rate: 3360 kbits/sec SUN JUL 09 15:34:03 2006 WanMgr reports DSL is UP SUN JUL 09 15:33:46 2006 WanMgr reports DSL is Down SUN JUL 09 14:21:07 2006 Setting System clock to Local time SUN JUL 09 14:21:04 2006

---------

Reply to
bhc2000
Loading thread data ...

I had a lot of trouble with my Verizon phone line. First no connection. Then no ringtone. Then lots of noise. Every time Verizon claimed that everything checks fine. The noise was always in coincidence with wind and bad weather (in other words, the 4th-world class Verizon cabling). Eventually, after endless calls, things were fixed when I order DSL (which I returned because of their unacceptable terms, thanks, but no thanks). See if your problem correlates with bad weather.

Reply to
biggerdigger

Thanks for sharing your experience. After numerous (more than 10) tries, we finally found a rep who tried to help, instead of trying to send us away by muttering something and treating us like morons.

Verizon sent someone to the house. The inside wires checked out fine. The guy went to the "central office" to check things out and everything checked out OK. He said there is not much they can do if the disconnects are caused by underground water.

The DSL was up for over 48 hours continously over the weekend. But, it rained in the area last night, and the line disconnects and reconnects every five minutes or so. Really bad.

I wonder if you could tell me how come the phone line got better when you got DSL?

Cheers, Bernard

Reply to
tinamtong

hanks for sharing your experience. After numerous (more than 10) tries, we finally found a rep who tried to help, instead of trying to send us away by muttering something and treating us like morons.

Verizon sent someone to the house. The inside wires checked out fine. The guy went to the "central office" to check things out and everything checked out OK. He said there is not much they can do if the disconnects are caused by underground water.

The DSL was up for over 48 hours continously over the weekend. But, it rained in the area last night, and the line disconnects and reconnects every five minutes or so. Really bad.

I wonder if you could tell me how come the phone line got better when you got DSL?

Cheers, Bernard

Reply to
bhc2000

Thanks for sharing your experience. After numerous (more than 10) tries, we finally found a rep who tried to help, instead of trying to send us away by muttering something and treating us like morons.

Cheers, Bernard

Reply to
bhc2000

bhc2000 wrote in part:

I'm not sure, but I had the same experience. Before DSL, I could only connect at 26.6 bps. After DSL (when I didn't need it), I had no trouble connecting POTS modems at v.90 speeds like 48 or 50 kbps.

I'm on an SBC RT, and could only get DSL when it got a DSLAM installed.

I can only presume that when I got DSL, they switched my pair-run to a DSLAM that also provides POTS routed differently to my CO. This cleared out the extra D/A/D conversion.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Just an update. Someone from Verizon DSL tech support called last week. She suggested lowering the speed from 3 Mbps to 1.5 Mbps and said that should be more stable. We went along with it. There have been about 12 disconnects since the speed was lowered four days ago, but only two of those in the last 72 hours. We are OK with it if there are less than one disconnect per day.

Thanks for your kind help.

Cheers, Bernard

Reply to
bhc2000

If you are being charged for 3.0, why would you settle for 1.5?

Reply to
News

He wouldn't be. They'd drop his charges down also. This is a common fix for long loop lengths. The error rate at 3mbps is likely causing the modem to give up and retrain very often. Running at 1.5 may avoid most of the errors and allow it to stay connected longer or even continuously.

Reply to
DLR

He didn't mention rerating the charges on the line, however, just that he could live with a lower disconnect rate. Nor did he mention attempts to find another dry pair or depro/repro the line. Typical VRZN.

Reply to
News

IIRC their 3.0 rates are the same as their 1.5 rates, so you are both right. 8*]

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Sorry for not updating the thread.

Right after the speed was dropped from 3 to 1.5 Mbps, we tried to call Verizon business office. No luck, 1.5 Mbps is the same charge as 3.0 Mbps. That by itself is somewhat OK if the problem is fixed by dropping to a lower speed.

However, that seems not to be the case. For the last couple weeks, sometimes, we would have zero disconnects for a long period, like over

24 hours. But, sometimes we would have multiple disconnects, say over 10, in a couple of hours. The INTERNET light on the modem still had turned red a couple of times since Verizon dropped the speed from 3 to 1.5 Mbps.

Many of the reps we talked to say it is weather related, and that they can do nothing about it. It is amusing in a bad way, first timer we have heard that the phone line is affected by the weather. I suppose it is not just the DSL, a couple of our neighbors who have regulated phone services got no dial tones recently.

We really do not know how to proceed any more. We want a DSL connection that does not go down whenever it rains since we have an internet phone. That is the reaso we agreed to the lower speed at the same monthly fees. But, that did not seem to have solved the problem.

Once in a while, if we are persistent, we may find a tech support rep that seemed to care about what is going on, or at least earnestly try to help. But, most of the reps just treated us like morons and are too eager to just get rid of us without doing anything.

For example, one time we called and the rep asked us to send in a description on their website. We sent it in in writing and the reply e-mail said call them, :-(!

By the way, one web page of Verizon ask for a description of the problem in 70 or less *characters* (not even words, characters)!

Thank you for listening, your suggestions and advice much appreciated.

Cheers, Bernard

Reply to
bhc2000

Damn Bernard... I hate these big fat ass companies that feel they don't have to do anything. Go after them Bernard and nail them to the cross! I'm an engineer they they have to fix it. It's just that simple!

Reply to
BillW50

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.