Help!! Cisco 678 CAP modem WAN not functioning

I have worked with my ISP to configure a Cisco 678 CAP version modem and have failed to get it talking to qwest's DSL service.

After follwing the full qwest config routine at:

formatting link

I get no WAN lights and no connection as reported by Cisco Commander or my ISP.

Can anyone offer help? I get no errors when modem boots and the latest firmware is installed.

Thanks!

- Larry

Reply to
mtin
Loading thread data ...

Hasn't Qwest switched all its circuits to DMT?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Is this a new DSL line? Qwest hasn't installed a CAP DSL line since 2002? or so.

Did you set the VPI to 1 and VCI to 1?

If you do have a CAP line and are replacing a failed modem, do you for sure have the CAP flash image installed on the router? Ie. most of them ship with the DMT image.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Bert -

Thanks for the reply, I'm currently on hold with qwest tech support.

First they told me that new DSL connections are only DMT, but then after chatting with their back room help said the Cisco 678 CAP or DMT should work with a new connection .

Any ideas?

Bert Hyman wrote:

Reply to
mtin

Thanks for the reply, I'm currently on hold with qwest tech support.

First they told me that new DSL connections are only DMT, but then after chatting with their back room help said the Cisco 678 CAP or DMT should work with a new connection .

Yes, I'm sure it is a CAP unit and has the proper CAP firmware loaded Yes, I did set the VPI to 1 and VCI to 1.

Any other ideas?

Doug Mc> >I have worked with my ISP to configure a Cisco 678 CAP version modem

Reply to
mtin

Yeah; the person you're talking to is wrong (unless I'm ->seriously misinformed [and I'm sure if I am, I'll find out about it real fast :-)]).

You'll need your 678 flashed with firmware matching the mode of your line, CAP or DMT, whichever.

If you've stayed with a very old line (slower that 1.5Mb) you might still have a CAP circuit, but when any line is upgraded to 1.5Mb or faster, they also convert to DMT.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

the Qwest tech help guy (in the Phillipines!! - and very polite) double checked that a Cisco 678 Cap unit can work with a new line, so they verified that we have no connectivity and will send out a lineman to check my connection.

While was on the line with him, I took the modem outside, plugged it into the box and re-verified we have no connectivity.

Yowza!! ??????

- Larry

Bert Hyman wrote:

Reply to
mtin

If this is a new line, than 100% guaranteed that you have a DMT line. Qwest won't install a new CAP line ever since their conversion to the ITU standard years back.

You'll need to flash the unit with the DMT code base, and use the VPI/VCI of 0/32.

The tech may not know what they are talking about, and a little knowledge makes them dangerous. They most likely mean that the 678 can do CAP or DMT based on its code loaded, but this has to match how the line is setup, not just one or the other as a whim.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Doug - So is the 678 effectively a flexible/blank slate? Can I flash my choice of DMT or Cap to the beast?

In the Cisco instructions for firmware upgradeit says to make surewhat version you have before loading the firmware, but perhasp this just means to duplicate the CAP/DMT choice so existing service will continue without hiccups... Do I have it right?? Thanks

- Larry

Doug Mc> >the Qwest tech help guy (in the Phillipines!! - and very polite) double

Reply to
mtin

Doug - So is the 678 effectively a flexible/blank slate? Can I flash my choice of DMT or Cap to the beast?

In the Cisco instructions for firmware upgradeit says to make surewhat version you have before loading the firmware, but perhasp this just means to duplicate the CAP/DMT choice so existing service will continue without hiccups... Do I have it right?? Thanks

- Larry

Doug Mc> >the Qwest tech help guy (in the Phillipines!! - and very polite) double

Reply to
mtin

Yes, its is flexible, it can run either DMT or CAP firmware (or G.lite, not that ever went anywhere). But as I said before, you have to match what the provider is giving you. No provider, especially Qwest, has deployed CAP lines in years and years.

It probably just means to double check which version you need, as if you mess up the DMT/CAP choice, unless you have another way on, you're screwed until somebody mails you a cd-rom or something with the right code rev on it.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Doug -

So does a particular version of modem only run certain versions of CBOS?

My modem does not list it's version, but it's sticker info is: S/N FAB0439L140 MAC 0002FD1FB639 PCBA: 800-06446-05 REV-A0

the qwest sticker says: Cisco 678 Mode: PPP Initial Software version: 2.3.5.012

It came with a Cisco Commander Products CD v13.

FWIW

- Larry

Doug Mc> >So is the 678 effectively a flexible/blank slate? Can I flash my

Reply to
mtin

snipped-for-privacy@cnsp.com () wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Don't think so. You can download the last versions of the CAP and DMT firmware from Qwest's own Web site

formatting link

Toward the bottom you'll see this:

# Cisco 678 CAP Download CBOS 2.4.6 firmware to your c:/temp directory, then open instructions (PDF).

# Cisco 678 DMT Download CBOS 2.4.6 firmware to your c:/temp directory, then open instructions (PDF).

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.