giving one PC priority using Speedtouch 510

I have an ADSL connection which is connected to a SpeedTouch 510 modem/router, which in turn is connected to three PCs.

What I want to do is set up my SpeedTouch so that packets to/from one PC are given priority over packets to/from the other PCs.

From reading various information that I've Googled, and the SpeedTouch CLI reference guide, I get the impression that the way to do this is to edit the modem's user.ini configuration file, then use the modem's web interface to upload the new configuration file into the modem. (If this is not the case, please let me know).

Furthermore, I also get the impression that the sections of the configuration file I need to edit are probably [qos.ini], [ipqos.ini], and [label.ini].

My questions are:

(1) what changes do I need to make to the config file to do what I want?

(2) is there a guide anywhere which explains what the entries in the config file mean? (I find the CLI reference guide less than useful, because it doesn't explain any of the concepts, merely lists the commands).

Reply to
phil hunt
Loading thread data ...

Phil you will find all the answers you need concerning the 4.2.7 IPQoS functionality of the SpeedTouch Routers on the SpeedTouch Partner web site...

formatting link
The specific document can be found in the ST610 section...

formatting link
Note you can only control the priority in the UpStream direction.

Note also there is a difference in the IPQoS capabilities of the 500 (Residential) and 600 (Business) Routers. But you can do what you want to do wit the ST510

There are specific example configurations in the document.

Let us know how you get on - I know there have been several people intrested in this feature.

Reply to
Moonshine

Ah! I've heard of this document, but couldn't find it.

That should be fine.

What I'm trying to do looks very similar to Example 3.1...

I've not tried doing it yet, but the document looks promising.

Reply to
phil hunt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.