Getting IP to change with router

When I had a single modem I used to be able to turn it off like for 20 seconds and turn it back on again, and then press "connect" on the Verizon icon in "Network Connections" and get a new IP number. Now I have a router and things are different. Turning it off and back on again doesn't work. Unplugging the router and rebooting the computer does work however, but I don't want to have to do that. Does anybody know how I can get a new IP while using a router? My router's a Westell by the way if you want to know.

Reply to
Dan
Loading thread data ...

Which IP address are you trying to change --

the IP address that the router assigns to the computer, or the IP address that your ISP assigns to the router?

Turning off the router (or modem/router combo) will probably change your public IP (the address your ISP assigns to the router). I don't know of any good reason to change the private IP address of your computer on your network.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

| Dan writes: |

| | Which IP address are you trying to change -- | | the IP address that the router assigns to the computer, or | the IP address that your ISP assigns to the router? | | Turning off the router (or modem/router combo) will probably change | your public IP (the address your ISP assigns to the router). I don't | know of any good reason to change the private IP address of your | computer on your network.

Most likely the WAN IP.

He can always change the WAN MAC and thus get a different address.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.