Fast Access and Bellsouth DSL static-ip again

Sorry for the repost, thought my message didnt go through.

I knew there would be issues with this and the guys on the phone don't seem to be much help. I am trying to setup the static-ip service through bellsouth(atl). My question; I can get incoming data but I cant see the webserver on the outside. It is being hosted over port80 and they say I have my static-ip.

I am sure I need to configure there windell modem thing to allow outbound data, but I am not sure how? Also, do I need to do something on the operating system?

It is a linux system.

Reply to
Berlin Brown
Loading thread data ...

I can access using 127.0.0.1, but not on the IP or at least the WAN IP,

I bet if I tried the dynamic IP from the modem, it will probably work?

Reply to
Berlin Brown

Can you access your webserver using the IP? (i.e. http://1.2.3.4)

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Can you access it from the same machine using its WAN IP? Are you sure you have a WAN IP assigned to the *machine* (not to some sort of modem or router)?

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

Well, I have to use the modem to convert the signals from DSL to PC? I am sure it is some setting in the bellsouth windel modem or maybe some property in the OS?

Reply to
Berlin Brown

You could try answering my questions:

Can you access it from the same machine using its WAN IP?

Are you sure you have a WAN IP assigned to the *machine*?

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

I got it working,

http://65.5.191.156 But, the thing is, now I cant see it from the actual machine? What do you think I need to do for that?

I tried editing my hosts file with 65.5.191.156, but doesnt seem to work; hmm.

Reply to
Berlin Brown

It would help a lot if you told us what you changed.

What does "see it from the actual machine" mean?

Huh?

You need to provide much more precise descriptions. What does it mean to "see it"? What happens when you don't "see it"? Do you get some error? What error? And so on.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

I think the basic problem here is you're in way over your head.

Reply to
David Ross

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.