Earthlink DSL in Denver area

Currently an Earthlink dial-up user in Denver, I am considering converting to DSL.

Looking for comments, pro and con, about service. Can I keep current rmi.net address ?? are Newsgroup servers the same ??

Thanks, Reed

Reply to
Reed
Loading thread data ...

You might want to direct this question to the 24hr. help desk. Lots of experts there If your are going from dial-up to dsl with the same company then you most likely can keep your address. Thumb rule of the road. What ever telephone company you use for your Telephone service that's the company that you want to use for your internet service weather it be dial-up or dsl. The telephone companies have to lease their equiptment to others who provide internet service. so it's best to stick with the big boys. Qwest, Bell, etc.

Reply to
Marfa, Texas

The moment I can pitch SBC Yahoo! DSL Service for DSL Extreme, I am gone from the SBC system. It is true that the ILEC has to lease lines to the CLECs; that does not mean that you get better Internet service from the ILEC. Indeed, the ILECs are using their position to put the CLECs at as much of a disadvantage as possible; monopolistic, anti competitive, greedy little w***es that they are.

Reply to
NormanM

Sorry you feel that way about SBC Yahoo DSL. And just for fun, In a court of law your comments would be considered her say. I have no idea why you are displeased with SBC Yahoo DSL it works fine for me. I did not install all the hoopla that comes with the installation disk and just use the browser setting to access the net and it seems to be quite good. Good speeds and good surfing.

Reply to
Marfa, Texas

I'm a guy; I would think that is "his" say, not "her" say. Seriously, though, if this were a court of law, I would be able to show that, when provisioning DSL service, SBC's ASI favors SBC Yahoo! DSL Service (the ILEC provider), over DSl Extreme and Speakeasy (the CLEC providers). SBC has been sanctioned by California's P.U.C. on numerous occasions, and doesn't care. I suspect that they just use chits for petty cash to pay the fines.

I am not displeased with the DSL part, just the SBC part. It took them two weeks to fix a voice problem which not only made voice calls unusable, but also knocked out the DSL. I am sure that it would have taken even longer had I been using one of the CLEC DSL services. Even though I had isolated the problem down to the voice side. After a week and a half of dancing with them, I got ASI involved. The ASI guy left me a Cayman router overnight, just to see if the problem persisted; it did. He picked up his Cayman the next day, and the day after I had two trucks; one ASI, the other telco. Only then did they finally submit a work order to try and find another pair. It seems that they have maxed the load on the 50 pair cable down to our lot, and probably couldn't supply me with a second phone line if I wanted one.

Nor did I. I actually didn't install anything before the SBC-Y nonsense, either. I don't have a lot of use for Yahoo!. I use their IM client on occasion, when somebody I want to talk to isn't using another. I have a couple of email accounts to use for taunting spammers, and such. But they are geared toward getting people on to their site so that the advertisers who pay their bills will have exposure. Nothing wrong with ads, but they also make extensive use of trackers to try and profile users of their service for the advertisers.

I would rather not be profiled, thank you. My browser "portal" is:

file:///F:/My%20Pictures/V-W-X-Y-Z/Yamaneko/Kabegami%20Koubou/Mana-musume%

20Ito/maya20_800.png

....which is a useless link for probably anybody else on the Internet. (However, she really is a cutey, and you can find her here:

formatting link
I launch off to the web from bookmarks, and Google, whom I trust more than Yahoo!.

SBC doesn't offer PWPs any more; you get a Geocities PWP. You might do better with Tripod, or Lycos, though. SBC doesn't offer email any more; you get yahoo.com mail servers; same as anybody at Comcast or Road Runner can get for $20 a year. You are using 'smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com', I presume? Well, okay; there are still some SBC Global mail servers in use. For now. For those who chose not to migrate to SBC Yahoo! DSL service.

Technically, DSL is DSL; I should get the same data rate from DSL Extreme, or Speakeasy as I get from SBC. It is the little amenities that go with the TCP/IP access which help form a decision upon which provider to use. SBC Yahoo! is geared for people like those living in Harlan Ellison's "downunders"; you can think of them as "AOL Lite".

Reply to
NormanM

LMAO have a great day!

Reply to
Marfa, Texas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.