Earthlink DSL/FAX disconnect problem

My friend has Earthlink DSL on same Verizon phone line as his HP 3015 all-in-one machine which he uses only for FAX function (not connected to computer). When he sends/receives FAX, it disconnects his DSL. He has to shut off his computer (not DSL modem) for a while, then when reboots DSL usually comes back. Talked to Earthlink, they suggested reset/reconfigure DSL, but same thing over again next FAX use. Tried Excelsus Z-230 PJ filter between HP 3015 and phone line, but that kills FAX function all together - it won't send or receive. Have talked to Excelsus, without remedy; they don't thin it's a filter problem. HP not much help because 3015 is out of warranty - they want $25.00 to discuss further. Anybody here had any similar problems??

Reply to
n9ejs
Loading thread data ...

| My friend has Earthlink DSL on same Verizon phone line as his HP 3015 | all-in-one machine which he uses only for FAX function (not connected | to computer). When he sends/receives FAX, it disconnects his DSL. He | has to shut off his computer (not DSL modem) for a while, then when | reboots DSL usually comes back. Talked to Earthlink, they suggested | reset/reconfigure DSL, but same thing over again next FAX use. Tried | Excelsus Z-230 PJ filter between HP 3015 and phone line, but that kills | FAX function all together - it won't send or receive. Have talked to | Excelsus, without remedy; they don't thin it's a filter problem. HP | not much help because 3015 is out of warranty - they want $25.00 to | discuss further. | Anybody here had any similar problems??

His Micro-filters aren't installed correctly !

I use the micro-filters supplied by Verizon and I have no problem sending or receiving a FAX.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Dave -

What are Micro-filters and how does he go about getting them please?

= = = = =

David H. Lipman wrote:

Reply to
n9ejs

| Dave - | | What are Micro-filters and how does he go about getting them | please? |

My DSL came with a kit which included the needed filters.

All analog devices connected to the phone line need to have a filter inserted between the analog device and the phone line.

"He" should contact the ISP.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Dave -

Thanks for your return posting.

The ISP is Earthlink. I was there at my friend's office a couple of years ago to install the DSL, and found an Excelsus Z-230 PJ Z-blocker in the Earthlink modem kit. I tried installing it between the HP 3015 all-in-one FAX-printer and the 3015 wouldn't work, so I took the Z-230PJ out and the 3015 then worked o.k. until recently.

Now, everytime a FAX comes in or goes out, it disconnects the DSL. I talked to Earthlink and got their suggestions, which included (1) putting the Z-230 PJ back in, and (2) resetting-reconfiguring the DSL.

Re-installing the Z-230 PJ killed the FAX function again, and resetting the DSL worked - until the next FAX function and the same thing happened again - back to square one. I talked to Excelsus and at first they thought the Z-230 PJ might be defective, but after continued discussion they don't think so - but they don't know what the problem is either. They suggest talking to Verizon, the land-line service provider - which we haven't tried yet.

From what you say, I understand that a Micro-filter is the same thing as the Excelsus Z-230 PJ.

That's what brought me here looking for more help! Thanks for your suggestions.

George

= = = = David H. Lipman wrote:

between the

Reply to
n9ejs

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.