DSL with Win95 OSR2

How do I make my Win95 OSR2 system to work with DSL or any other high speed connection? This is an old laptop with a Netgear PCMCIA network card. Model number FA411. I installed the driver and it seems to work properly. But Internet Explorer doesn't recognize the DSL connection. Do I need 3rd party software to make this work? If it is, where can I download the software? The software must be FREE and ISP INDEPENDENT.

Hendra

Reply to
u1000393
Loading thread data ...

Actually, I already have a router. I have another laptop with WinXP and it works perfectly. I just connect the cable to my ethernet card and WinXP automatically recognizes the connection. No need to type in user name, password or anything. But my older laptop doesn't recognize the connection.

Hendra

Reply to
u1000393

It is here, 2nd from bottom of page

formatting link

Reply to
Hugh Candlin

Assuming your router is set with normal defaults for DHCP (auto IP assignment) for machines hooked up to it, then you need to be sure TCP/IP is installed as a component for the network card and TCP/IP is configured for DHCP. This page describes how to configure it for DHCP:

formatting link
Once you have that or if you already have that all in place, then do a start>run>winipcfg and see if the router has given the card an IP. It normally will be in the 192.168.x.x range.

I understand Win95 supports only up to IE5.5. Download that if you don't have it and use the internet connection wizard that comes with it to configure a LAN connection.

IE5.5 can be downloaded here:

formatting link
Consider an alternative browser, but you may have trouble finding a current version that is compatible with Win95. Perhaps other posters know of one. I don't believe the most current versions of Firefox or Mozilla will work in Win95. Opera might and is now free.

Most machines that can run Win95 can run Win98 - so consider upgrading to that (or better yet, installing it clean) so you can run more recent software.

Gary E

-- |Gary A. Edelstein | snipped-for-privacy@SPAMyahoo.com.invalid (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply) |"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

Reply to
Gary A. Edelstein

| How do I make my Win95 OSR2 system to work with DSL or any other high | speed connection? This is an old laptop with a Netgear PCMCIA network | card. Model number FA411. I installed the driver and it seems to work | properly. But Internet Explorer doesn't recognize the DSL connection. | Do I need 3rd party software to make this work? If it is, where can I | download the software? The software must be FREE and ISP INDEPENDENT. | | Hendra

You must be real cheap to try to connect Win95 to the Internet and then want FREE software !

Get a Cable/DSL Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41. Then the Router will make the PPPoE connection and will allow *any* TCP/IP compliant hardware to be connected to the LAN side of the Router.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

You will have to correctly configure the MS-Win95 OSR2 networking.

It shouldn't take userid/passwd because the router stores those. But you do need to enable the card and TCP/IP.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

| Actually, I already have a router. I have another laptop with WinXP and | it works perfectly. I just connect the cable to my ethernet card and | WinXP automatically recognizes the connection. No need to type in user | name, password or anything. But my older laptop doesn't recognize the | connection. | | Hendra

Just get your TCP/IP information from from the DHCP Daemon on the Router.

I also suggest you find the WINSOCK v2 and DUN 1.4 for Win95

DUN v1.4

formatting link
I couldn't find the the 1999 patch for WINSOCK2 on MS Downloads. I have it though.

These are important TCP/IP updates for Win95

Reply to
David H. Lipman

How do I make my Win95 OSR2 system to work with DSL or any other high speed connection? This is an old laptop with a Netgear PCMCIA network card. Model number FA411. I installed the driver and it seems to work properly. But Internet Explorer doesn't recognize the DSL connection. Do I need 3rd party software to make this work? If it is, where can I download the software? The software must be FREE and ISP INDEPENDENT.

Hendra

On a side note, I haven't seen any security updates for Windows 95 since December of 2000. So do you really want to put that on the Internet? I still have one W95 machine that still runs my flatbed scanner. It won't work under W98, W2K, or XP. But I won't allow it on the network for security reasons.

Cheers!

______________________________________________ Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 98SE)

-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

Reply to
BillW50

| It is here, 2nd from bottom of page | |

formatting link
|

Thanks Hugh !

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Here in comp.dcom.xdsl, "BillW50" spake unto us, saying:

I have several Win95 OSR2 boxes connected to the net, and with the use of a decent browser (e.g., Firefox) and a firewall (in my case, Coyote Linux 2.24 on a dedicated PC) it seems to be a fairly safe OS.

Reply to
Richard Steiner

I recommend that you install a 3rd party firewall/NAT box and config Win95B PC's with private network IP's.. eg 192.168.XXX.XXX ...

Suggest using a Dlink DI-604 to interface with DSL modem in bridged mode and let the Dlink box handle the PPPoE and NAT functions.

Apply remaining Win95B patches, using DSLreports.com tool to set the enet adapters RWIN and MTU settings.. see..

formatting link
Set Win95 ethernet adapters RWIN(receive window) to 46464 and MTU to 1492 and you should be good to go.

DI-604's can be had for $20 after rebates. (Which is cheap insurance for preventing outside attacks).

Reply to
tkgoogle

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.