DSL, Virginia, Norfolk, static IP address, servers OK

After going through Broadbandreports and other resource, I am a bit frustated. I like to get DSL at home, with a static IP address, my own registered host/domain name and being able to run any server for non-commercial applications. I want to run my own HTTP and SMTP server, of course, and other useful services without going through a caponized service on an ISP server. Cox stricty says no, Verizon also says no. I do not want to pay $250 for business DSL, besides that companies offering such service tell me they can't to my phone number/address. I live in the northern part of Norfolk, VA (USA), about 6km from the next CO. I thought cyberonic.com might work, but recent reviews are not looking too good. Besides, these people send out (for me) unreadable HTML-encoded junk mail messages, so what shall I expect from their service when things go south. Not to mention that cyberonic is unable to offer Usenet access. Verizon FIOS is not available in my area yet and I doubt they will give up their monopoly just because I am not their typical web browser operator. Oh, and I have to send this message through Google since certain research facilities in this area are unable to run an NNTP server. Seems the qualified staff went somewhere else. Sigh. Any suggestion?

Reply to
biggerdigger
Loading thread data ...

Here in Raleigh there are several resellers of Bellsouth based DSL which offer static IPs at a reasonable cost. I use Portbridge. But you have to have a phone line that support DSL via Verizon before you can get a 3rd party involved with spending BIG bucks. I'd look around some more. Or maybe even sign up for Verizon then if it works you can switch to someone else.

As to newsgroups access and whatnot, well if that's important, pay for a

3rd party.
Reply to
DLR

Checkout Speakeasy

formatting link

Reply to
Ron Marshall

Have you talked to Cavalier? or any of the companies on page 2 of the consumer info guide in your phone book? The answer may still be the same, but maybe worth a try.

Reply to
Roy Starrin

Seems I have to contact Verizon on Monday. Speakeasy would have been nice (thanks, Ron!) but they have no equipment at the closest CO. I even called Cyberonic - same situation. Cavalier looks as bad as Verizon (thanks anyway, Roy!). Companies like Verizon and Cavalier are more concerned about pop-up blockers than actual unlimited Internet service. At least that is my impression when I read the blurb on their web sites and the comments at dslreports. Anyway, thanks for the replies so far.

Reply to
biggerdigger

I called Verizon. Their automated service could not find my phone number in the database, although I entered it correctly and have the service up since a month. So I ended up with the sales department despite my attempt to get tech support. The sales department forwarded me to their tech support. When I asked the good lady of the tech support what transfer rate I can expect, considering the long distance from the next CO to my home, she told me that she would have to forward me to the sales department. I insisted that this is a technical question and doubt that the sales department could answer this question. The Verizon tech expert explained that at tech support they help people to connect to the Internet and therefor she could not answer my question. Mmmh. Then I asked whether I can run servers on my machine. I expected a simple yes or no. Wrong again. The expert asked me what a server is. Since most IP protocols are based on the client-server concept, I thought that this is an interesting question for tech support. I listed the two most popular ones: SMTP and HTML. Somehow that did not connect. If phones were connected via microwave waveguides, I am sure I would have felt the heat. My next question was a tricky one: can I get the terms of the contract before I sign up? No, that comes with the package after I sign up! I hit the jackpot when the good lady asked me for the operating system I use. I said OpenVMS, also known as VMS. I spelled it very clearly. She tried to inform me that I have to use Windows XP. My bad. I should have known better. I am sure Linux users feel the pain. Eventually I gave up. She won! I had to find my way through their phone menus to get hold of the sales department. At least the guy on the other end could listen to my questions. I kept them short. Not that he could answer all my questions. He did suggest that I can run any server on my machine. In fact he once did run an SMTP server. Maybe he used DynDNS, I don't know and was afraid to ask. After all, there is Verizon tech support for technical questions, isn't it? So, for now I ordered the whole thing, get 30 days of trial for free and if it does not work, then I send the whole Internet experience back. Maybe I get a toaster or washing machine.

Verizon may record each my phone call for training purposes. I really hope they do. And I summarize it here for entertainment purposes.

Reply to
biggerdigger

Are you buying ISP service from Verizon (verizon.net) as well as a DSL circuit? Look here:

formatting link
You'll find this in there:

2.1 ... Verizon Fios Internet Service and DSL are collectively referred to as "Broadband Services."

3.6.5 You may not use the Broadband Service to host any type of server personal or commercial in nature.
Reply to
Bert Hyman

Great, thanks Bert! There is probably a reason why I could not find these terms via the Verizon "DSL for Home" web page.

Now I am going to check the line and then send the whole garbage back where it belongs. In the meantime I keep searching for a real Internet service provider.

Reply to
biggerdigger

Apparently your line shows up in the shared data bases as too far to have Internet service. Since you can HAVE Internet service via Verizon, I'd keep it while looking for an alternative. As having this service shows you can get it and thus 3rd parties can ignore the database and sign you up. If you cancel service, very few if any 3rd parties will e willing to sign you up as they'll likely have to agree to pay Verizon some heavy fees to make your line good. You'll know it's good but they will be unwilling to take the bet.

Reply to
DLR

Right, that is how I proceed. In addition I call Verizon this afternoon and see if they are able to offer me an alternative plan with full Internet access instead of a couch potato connection. I know, it is unlikely that this works. And obviously their staff is not aware of the issue. But I give them a chance. It is quite nice that Verizon lets me test the line and their equipment for free. Other companies force their customers into a one year contract and then let the customers deal with the trouble.

Reply to
biggerdigger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.