DSL TESTING for Outside Plant

I really could use some help finding some documentation on specifics for testing a DSL line. I have been looking on the web, and can't find what I need.   Somewhere there must be documentation on how a line must be balanced, without stray voltage etc.   Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
ed
Loading thread data ...

Your local phone company will know how to do that.

Reply to
Dana

Dana - That really didnt help much, I work for the local phone company and there is disagreement between POTS and DS0 techs...

I am still looking for any help with documentation on how a line must be balanced, without stray voltage etc. any ideas ? - Besides Dana

Reply to
ed

Ed,

By stray voltage can I assume you mean > Dana - That really didnt help much,

Reply to
Justin Brown - SYNACS

I work for a rural telco, and we pretty much get to do it all.

Bellcore/Telecordia docs are usually pretty good. Also a web search via google will bring up hits on documents from the bigger bells like SBC and Qwest, on their testing specs. And I think you will have the fight between inside and oustide plant guys, even if you find the documentation you are looking for. I am surprised you company does not have specs they go by.

Reply to
Dana

Ed, You still want a good balance, but the really critical thing is the Bridge Tap, especially on longer loops (greater than 14K') the drop must be changed out from the flat copper coated steel for the newer 2 pr 22 gauge twisted drops with NO splices. You will want to test for BT with a TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer) I used to use the 3M 965DSP, one of the best meters I ever used. You will want NO foreign battery on the line, that is nothing crossed to a working circuit, of course you would see that if you did a balance test, for the die hards out there a "kick meter" is worthless for troubleshooting a DSL line. Another thing is, of course, cable gauge the larger the better, rural areas typically have 19 or 22 gauge while most cities use 24 or 26 gauge. The longest DSL line I've gotten to work was at 28.5K' on 22 gauge at 1.2MB/Sec (download) Temperature is also a factor the colder the cable the least cable resistance, so if your cable is buried that is much better than say an aerial cable in Arizona. My person opinion is the DSL tech is a better cable tech than any DSO tech. Now another problem is the BT in peoples homes/businesses. I think a filter/splitter and the NI is required, especially on long loops, why go to all the other trouble to fix the "plant" when the wiring in peoples homes is "sub par" use at least Cat3 wiring, home run to the NI and use a filter at the NI and you will get the best speed and line quality possible. One last thing, if you live in some of the larger cities you are probably still using 24/26g lead cable, if you can "cut" the sub to a newer pic cable preferably jelly filled vs aircore, you will get a better signal. There is much more on this subject, but these are the simple things you can do. Steve_retired telco ds0/ds1

"ed" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Steve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.