dsl signal only present when phone is live

I have a Teledat 301 modem connected to a network card. The modem is connected to a splitter. I can only get a DSL signal if I press the dial button on my phone. As soon as I dissconnect the phone, I lose my DSL signal. Unplugging the phone from the splitter does not seem to make a difference. If I unplug the phone, I still have a DSL signal, but as soon as I press the dial button on the phone to cut off the dial signal, the DSL connection is lost.Can anyone help? I am using XP. Many thanks.

Reply to
sal
Loading thread data ...

You do know that there's a device that has to be connected between the phone line and the phone, right?

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

DS, I assume you mean the splitter. Sorry, I'm a bit new at all this.

What I have is a splitter that connects to the phone socket. From the splitter, I have a cable that connects to the phone and another cable that connects to the modem.

All this is wired correctly.

My problem is that the modem is not obtaining a secure DSL connection. (The DSL light flashes continually). The only way to obtain a stable DSL connection is by picking up the phone and pressing the dial/connect button. I then hear a dial tone from the handset. The DSL light then stops flickering and stays on. Hey presto, I have my DSL connection and can log on.

Unfortunately the phone is now unable to take any calls while I am logged on and is instead draining its batter charge.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Reply to
sal

No, not a device that allows you to connect two devices to the same line, a device that allows you to connect a *telephone* to a *DSL* line. It is a specific device for that purpose, and it is required to prevent the telephone from interfering with the DSL signal.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

I see.

I shall get one of these filters then.

Thanks very much for your replies David and William. Much appreciated.

Reply to
sal

No, he means the filter, a little dongle with a phone plug on one end and a phone jack on the other that keeps your telephone from interfering with your DSL.

You should have gotten a few of them with the DSL modem, or you can pick them up at any computer or electronics store.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

You can find some good information about this problem here:

formatting link
DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

This is a problem known as "high open". It is caused by a wiring problem. The problem is usually in the house wiring, but it could be in the telco lines.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

Call the number where you ordered DSL. You should have gotten several when you got the dsl modem.

Reply to
Buddy b

Sal,

You need a DSL filter - not a conventional phone splitter... I think you will find - after you remove ALL your phones in the house - the dsl modem sync (light) will lock onto the isp network. This "test" demonstrates that if/when you do NOT use a dsl filter, you effectively remove the source of the dsl "noise" by removing the phones.

If you "have to press the dial button" to get a dsl signal, you likely have other issues... call your dsl/isp for specifics...

P2E

To ga> I have a Teledat 301 modem connected to a network

card. The modem is

Reply to
Press2Esc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.