dsl service availability

Hi, Just a shotgun here to see if someone can explain something to me. I am in a rural area with a mini-office a couple of miles away. The local provider (verizon) says that I do not have access to DSL. When I search for DSL providers on the net several say they provide service to that number. Does this make sense? I would have assume that verizon would have to have the equipment installed in their mini-office.

thanks.

Reply to
jp
Loading thread data ...

The search you did doesn't have complete information. In the end, every case depends on the local CO records which are no where near automated at a level that would be needed to tell you this.

Reply to
David Ross

Another thing I've heard about Verizon is that they doesn't have enough DSL lines to support everyone that wants DSL. As they might have DSL right up to your door, but people before and passed you have all of the available lines already.

Reply to
BillW50

This all sounds true (and familiar). The Verizon DSL provider is almost certainly assuming you 'want' ADSL. My advice (2 cents!) -- Check with any/all 'third party CLEC's' (Competitive Local Exchange Carriers) in your area (Covad, Speakeasy.net, others?) and ask them what flavors of DSL they provide. Go back to Verizon and ask them where your 'Remote Terminal' is (a neighborhood switchbox that is beyond the CO). Once you find it, keep an eye out. If you ever see a technician servicing this RT, stop and ask him questions! (They are typically quite friendly, as long as you ask innocent questions like "Does anyone else here have DSL?" or "Is this an RT or a DSLAM?".) Eventually, you'll probably get a straight answer. Good luck!!

dj

BillW50 wrote:

Reply to
dj

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.