Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- john sage
July 17, 2006, 5:57 pm
rate this thread
I have no idea if this is the right place to pose this type of question, feel
free to direct me to a better place if is not.
We have had (a)dsl service for 2 years at 386k down. Other than a spot of
trouble last November, it has worked flawlessly until June 27 when it died. We
contacted the provider and ....
They detected a disconnect order from the trouble that we had last Nov. Without
boring everyone with the whole story, the said that we could restart the
service. So we submitted the request.
Fast forward to the service being started. We got connectivity but couldn't get
out on http. I called service again and now they say I am 25000 feet away from
the co and therefore can't get service.
So here is what I empirically know: I had good service for two years, it stopped
3 weeks ago. I now have 13.5 db s/n and 64.5 db line atten. I can ping 512 bytes
anywhere on the net. I can do traceroutes to most places on the net (for some
reason att.com hangs and my provider is att (used to be sbc). When I go through
my router and have my Linux box up, the weather comes through (assume its a low
bw udp transmission). When I execute Thunderbird, I get connected to the server
but when I send the password it usually says that the name/password is
incorrect. If it does connect, it will timeout on trying to deliver a message.
The technician that came to the house said that the upstream data path is bad
but they are going to deny service anyway since we are so far away. Anyone have
ideas of things that can be checked or fixed?
Re: dsl problems
john sage wrote:
Just a thought, but is the MTU in your router set to 1492 or smaller?
I had the same situation at a client office. They ordered DSL, were told
it was a really long run and might not work. We did it anyway and got
1.5mbps down, 384 up. Now the bad part. New tenant next door was a
telemarketer who was ordering 30 lines or similar. BellSouth either had
to dig a 1000' trench or replace the 25 pair cable in the conduit with a
50 pair. They went the replacement route. (It was interesting watching
them pull the new cable with their truck.) Phones were all hooked back up.
Oops. Our DSL is for like working 5 minutes out of 30 and slow at that.
Well it turns out we had a "golden" pair of wires before which let our
signal through. We measured at about 20,000 feet but tested at about
15000. With the new cable we tested at about 22000. And no they were not
going to try all 50 pairs to see if any would work better. So it was
back to dial up until they put in a remote terminal a few months later.
- » Pinging my router from the outside, a PPPOE question.
- — Next thread in » Digital Subscriber Line
- » AT&T Launches 5G You're Actually Allowed to Use [telecom]
- — The site's Newest Thread. Posted in » General Telecommunications Forum