DSL newbie question: access and routers

Assuming, of course, your router supports PPPoE.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz
Loading thread data ...

I just signed up for DSL through Bell South -- I live in a small village on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. For the past few weeks, as I bicycle and run around town, I have noticed Bell South crews working. The guys told me they were upgrading the local service to provide DSL -- which is now available. I'm about 2,000 feet from the CO.

As I understand DSL, it's just like my cable service in that it is always on -- don't have to dial up anything, just start my browser or e-mail app and there it is -- right? (After loading my user name, password, etc., into the appropriate blanks.)

Also -- I currently run a cable modem with Cat 5 cable to router; one Cat 5 from router to my desktop PC, one Cat 5 cable to a wireless access point -- I have a wireless card on my laptop. I assume I just unplug the Cat 5 from my cable modem and plug it into the DSL modem output jack and I can use my same router and wireless access point.

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe S.

It's almost that simple. You'll have to set up the router to log in to the service, presumably PPPoE, using the information provided by Bell. No other changes should be necessary.

Reply to
Rick Wintjen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.