DSL modem and SMC Barricade router

I just switched from cable service to BellSouth DSL. DSL setup and installation went perfectly and my Internet connection is fine -- browser, e-mail, and newsgroups.

With the cable modem, I was running the cable modem into an SMC Barricade Router. Outputs from the router went to my desktop computer and to a wireless access point.

When I plug the output of the DSL modem into the SMC router, I cannot access anything from my computer -- the modem and router are not recognizing each other. The modem is a Westell model ????? provided by BellSouth. With the CAt 5 cable from the modem going directly to the Ethernet connection on the computer everything works fine.

Is there a trick to getting the modem and the router to work together, or, does BellSouth configure their modems not to work through common routers thereby forcing me to sign up for their home networking option?

Thanks

Reply to
Joe S.
Loading thread data ...

You don't help much when you don't give the Westell model number.

The modem might already be a router, depending on model. For example, the 2200 is a router.

If the modem is a router, one possibility is that there is a conflict between the modem LAN address (becomes your SMC WAN address), and the SMC LAN address. From what I know of SMC and Westell equipment, I doubt that is your problem.

If the modem is not a router, then maybe you are running PPPoE software on your computer. In that case, you would have to set your SMC router to do PPPoE, and reconfigure your computer to not do PPPoE.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

Does your PC run PPPoE software when it is connected to the modem (modem in bridge mode)? If so, the login info that your PC uses must be entered into the router, after it is set to use PPPoE. If your PC is set to get an IP from the modem, the modem is performing as a router. If this is the case, the modem should be connected to a LAN port of the router, and the router's LAN address set to one in the subnet of the modem (and DHCP turned off).

Reply to
Rick Wintjen

Sorry -- model # C90-610030-06. Also, the label on the modem says "DSL Router" and the icon next to the port where the Cat 5 cable plugs in shows three little computers -- if that means anything.

Somewhere in the setup for the SMC router is a set of instructions for using PPPoE -- I'll fiddle around with it and see what happens. Thanks.

Joe S.

Reply to
Joe S.

Okay -- here's another dumb question -- if my Westell DSL Router is, in fact, a router, then instead of connecting its output to another router (my SMC Barricade), should I get an Ethernet hub or switch, connect the hub/switch to the output of the Westell then connect my desktop and my wireless access point to the hub/switch?

That makes sense -- at least to one with very limited understanding of what I'm doing!!

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe S.

You must be mistaken: I've never seen a router without LAN ports.

John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

That's a 6100. It's a router. The simplest thing to do would be to use the 6100 as your router, and put the SMC away until you find a use for it.

You would need to disable router functionality of the 6100. Better to use the 6100 as router.

I think the 6100 has a LAN ip address of 192.168.1.1, and the SMC probably has a LAN ip of 192.168.2.1. If that's correct, there should be no conflict, and everything should work using both. But you are better off using only the 6100 as router.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

That's how I am using my Westell 2200 (verizon version). It works fine. The 6100 should work the same way for you.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

Thanks to all who replied. I'm not certain what I did but here it is:

-- Got a LinkSys 5-port hub and a LinkSys Wireless-G print server.

-- Plugged the output from the DSL modem/router into the Uplink port of the hub.

-- Ran a Cat 5 cable from one port of the hub to the Ethernet card in the desktop PC.

-- Another Cat 5 cable from one port of the hub to my Wireless G access point.

-- Bingo - browser and e-mail on the desktop work through the hub and the DSL modem/router.

-- Followed the instructions and set up the print server.

-- Desktop PC prints through the network.

-- Laptop PC, with a Wireless G card, talks to the access point, accesses Internet and e-mail and prints through the print server or the network -- who cares, it prints.

Life is good. Now if I could just get out of the path of this hurricane. We're stocked with two big jugs each of scotch, Jack Daniels, and gin plus assorted mixers and 8 cases of beer, 6 cans of Dinty Moore beef stew, 20 gallons of gas, one 5kw generator, and 20 gallons of water to flush the toilet. Have I forgotten anything?

Reply to
Joe S.

Hope you got your money back on the SMC. If not, you can use it as a backup AP. BTW, ports labeled 1,2,3,4 on it are the LAN ports. You could have used it as your switch and access point by disabling the router functions and setting it's LAN side address to the same range as the modem/router, that is, the first three numbers have to match, and the last is unique. Problem solved, anyway.

Reply to
Rick Wintjen

Joe, your connection is reverse of mine. I have a wireless router between the computer and BS modem (Westell 2200). The modem connects to the telco line. All telephones, at least here, need to be plugged into a filter then to the phone jack. I had a problem with the router one day after a month of using it. had to call the wireless router company to get back on track. Good luck.

Reply to
Buddy b

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.