DSL hookup wire length question

The couple times I've called up Verizon to get a DSL setup running the first question from the support person is have I installed filters on all existing phones. That's resonable,

The next question is how long is my inside patch cable? Huh? I've just been told that they don't "support" anything longer than the cable they provide, maybe 15 ft.

So I lie.

How can any flimsy patch cord affect the signal unless we're talking hundreds of feet.

I know the DLS limit of some thousands of feet from the CO.

Reply to
Al Dykes
Loading thread data ...

| | The couple times I've called up Verizon to get a DSL setup running the | first question from the support person is have I installed filters on | all existing phones. That's resonable, | | The next question is how long is my inside patch cable? Huh? I've | just been told that they don't "support" anything longer than the | cable they provide, maybe 15 ft. | | So I lie. | | How can any flimsy patch cord affect the signal unless we're talking | hundreds of feet. | | I know the DLS limit of some thousands of feet from the CO. |

When my local Verizon CO was problematic I ran into a technician with the same

15' rant. I even told them that my CO was listed on the Verizon Status page. However the web page indicated that the problem had been resolved. I was trying to tell them that it wasn't resolved and there was still a problem. They kept insisting that I rewire my home or they would not escalate the problem or support me. Well a couple of days later the problem just went away just as quickly as it started and I never rewired my home. I called the billing department and got a pro-rata refund for the indicated period. They actually extended the period so I would get a better refund.

A few months later I did rewire the system but I saw no change in the quality of service.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

It is not just Verizon. SBCIS tells their customers the same thing.

When I got my modem, I tried hooking up using a 25foot extension cable and got no signal. I moved the modem and used the included cable and got a signal.

Consider: Your home wiring for telephone jacks is a solid, 20-22 gauge wire. Your patch cords for telephones is a stranded 26 gauge wire. One can support the signal, the other cannot. Report back when you know what attenuation is.

And do you know the difference between tip and ring?

Reply to
Kay Archer

I have never had any problem using an extension cord, even 25' flat cord, almost 12,000' from CO in a home built in 1910. If you have trouble though and want to rule out inside wiring, test with the modem connected directly to the NID (usually gray box outside) with an approved cable.

If you need distance, it is best to use short phone cord and longer ethernet cable (up to 100 meters).

Reply to
David Efflandt

The 15' cable they give you is round, not flat. It contains one (or two) twisted pairs instead of four thin single wires. You should be able to get a longer twisted pair cord (I *think* this is CAT3 standard) with the same RJ11 plugs at each end. Try that and see if it works.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

The 15 foot flat cable issue is not a "rant" and any anyone that tells you otherwise is ignorant of the facts. The cable that goes between the telco outlet and the modem should be as short as possible and twisted pair if possible. If it's the flat telephone chord anything longer than 6ft is going to start acting like an antenna, accepting any interference and as the cable is stranded it will have a high attenuation, both will increase errors and decrease speed.

If you don't know how to make a twisted pair telephone cable one can be had at Radio shack Catalog #: 279-108

0, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

Reply to
cosdocs

| | The 15 foot flat cable issue is not a "rant" and any anyone that tells | you otherwise is ignorant of the facts. The cable that goes between | the telco outlet and the modem should be as short as possible and | twisted pair if possible. If it's the flat telephone chord anything | longer than 6ft is going to start acting like an antenna, accepting | any interference and as the cable is stranded it will have a high | attenuation, both will increase errors and decrease speed. | | If you don't know how to make a twisted pair telephone cable one can | be had at Radio shack Catalog #: 279-108

It's a rant if it isn't qualified by a statement about the wire gauge and UTP if over 15'. :-)

Reply to
David H. Lipman

if over 15'.

Reply to
cosdocs

| What are you, two years old? Grow up. I gave you correct information | and apparently the telephone tech tried to also. You didnt listen! | Thats most of your problem.

Too bad that "rant" had zero to do with the problem which was at the CO.

The tech didn't give me any information. They just kept insisting they wouldn't give support unless the distance was less than 15'. There was no statement about gauge, there was no statement about twisted pair. It was a line from a page from a script and they kept to it whether it was associated with the problem or not. I didn't have to "listen." There was nothing wrong on my end, I was asking for support, I was reporting a continued problem at my local CO and they didn't want to hear it.

EoD :-)

Reply to
David H. Lipman

How can any flimsy patch cord affect the signal unless we're talking hundreds of feet.

Attenuation and Loss dumbass - Had 100% to do with the problem dumbass.

Apparently you piss quite a few people off...

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Try doubling up on the PROZAC Dave.

/thank God for user filters I wont have to see your posts anymore?

and they kept

"listen." There

continued problem

Reply to
cosdocs

It's not running at all? This is usually from some undetected phone parasite like an alarm system. Otherwise, it just syncs slow.

Hey, it's their script :) Early exit means low customer service cost.

Well, theoretically even 15mm affects the signal. The important question is: How much? If you're marginal, at 15 kft from the DSLAM over dubious copper with too many phones, then 15' is probably all you could handle. That's what they have their script for.

Most likely you're much better than this and can tolerate more. I'm rock-solid 1.5/378 at 3 kft, and I'd be shocked if 50' of silver satin would hurt anything on my install.

But installation details matter. The twisting is mostly to reduce transmitted and received interference. You can approximate the effect by externally twisting (rolling) the cable a few times per foot. But if you're running silver satin close and parallel to power feeds for noisy loads like motors and electronics, I'd expect trouble.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.