DSL Filters with 2 Phone Lines

Do filters need to be installed on the line not used for DSL?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
dkakd
Loading thread data ...

Not if the lines are separately wired. If you have jacks wired for both lines, then you may run into problems because every phone line you connect to those jacks becomes a long antenna/stub on your DSL line.

I strongly urge you to see one of my many posts about how best to wire DSL (with a splitter as close to the point of entry as possible).

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

If the wires were installed properly, no. The signal coupled from the DSL line to the other line *should* be at a low enough level to not interfere. It would still be best if you split the DSL line from the rest at the point it enters the building (the NID), to minimize any residual cross-talk.

Reply to
Rick Wintjen

Try this test.

Log into your router/modem and look at the line rate both up and down. Note the error stats in both directions and use the circuit for a few hours. Note the error stats again. Note also your max download rate.

Then disconnect your phone line at the demarc and connect the router/modem there directly. Look at the line rate both up and down. Note the error stats in both directions and use the circuit for a few hours. Note the error stats again. Note also your max download rate.

Compare.

You may be perfectly happy with a 2Mbps download rate but using a splitter will get you to 3Mbps. You may be perfectly happy with 10 errors an hour but using a splitter will get you down to one a day.

It all depends upon how much you care about your access.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

I installed my DSL using the filters that came with the installation package. I did the same for two other family members. And all three are 24/7 rock solid. So I wonder how often one needs to use stronger measures? Sounds like it might be very seldom in my experience.

__________________________________________________ Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD under Windows 2000)

-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

Reply to
BillW50

If you are getting your package's max speed and very few errors, then yeah, no point in changing anything.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Broadband Link - Statistics DSL Down Up Current Rate: 1536 kbs 384 kbs Max Rate: 5088 kbs 912 kbs Current Connection: Current Noise Margin: 18.0 dB 16.0 dB Current Attenuation: 53.0 dB 31.0 dB Current Output Power: 10.8 dB 6.0 dB

ATM Cells Errors % Transmit: 310165 0 0 Receive: 2758581 0 0

IP Bytes Packets Errors % Transmit: 261445 4464 0 0 Receive: 127065165 150623 0 0 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On for 10 hours, looks fantastic to me! Better wiring won't change a thing. The only part of my system suffers from errors is WiFi. But that is to be expected. But better wiring won't change that either. And I have 1536/384 connection. I can't do better without upgrading to the next DSL package (for more money).

__________________________________________________ Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD under Windows 2000)

-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

Reply to
BillW50

No, the filters are to take out the high frequency of DSL so you don't hear it in your voice conversation. No DSL, no filters needed.

Reply to
John S.

That is what they say, but from my experience it's the DSL modem needs the filters on the line, otherwise the high frequencies are attenuated too low to be useful. As POT devices don't expect such high frequencies and either filter them out (load them down), or unintentionally load them down. I've tried to hear those high frequencies on a number of phones without a filter on them and I don't think this is a real problem. Although the DSL connection rate falls off drastically.

______________________________________________ Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)

-- written and edited within Word 2000

Reply to
BillW50

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.