DSL expectations for small/medium business?

Our small company has used DSL for 5 years, and I'm starting to wonder if we've outgrown it. We have about 30 client computers, mail server, etc., sharing a 3.0Mbps/384Kbps DSL line. The connection is good, and as long as no one is uploading anything, the downstream is fine. Of course, as soon as someone sends a big email or uploads something to an FTP site, our entire upstream bandwidth is consumed, so regular web requests have to wait in line. This leads to the perception that our download speeds are bad.

Anyway, I'm wondering what DSL expectations are among business users in this group. On average, how many users, and what kinds of services would you expect business-class DSL to support? I'm expecting a sales call today from our ISP about upgrading to a partial T1, but I'm hoping to get some unbiased opinions first.

Thanks for reading to the end :)

Joseph

Reply to
Joseph O'Brien
Loading thread data ...

Hi Joseph, there is plenty of technologies such as QoS and IP shaping that would allow you to control how much of bandwidth will be dedicated to certain service/port/protocol/IP address which means you could set that traffic on port 25 (standard smtp port) can't get over 60% of total available bandwidth in upstream direction which would allow you to continue browsing on other workstations without experiencing much of speed degradation.... Good luck....

Reply to
Broadband Techie

additional DSL line

of both the

Yes, a frac T-1 will provide an overall better experience.

Reply to
Jeremy Phillips

has already

depend on the

The Edimax

Doubt as you please. I'm not trying to convince you.

I have, in the past six months, moved four networks from 3Mb ADSL and one from 1.1Mb SDSL to Frac/Full T1. In EVERY instance, the users have been happier with their experience. It has absolutely nothing to do with the bandwidth available. It's the lower latency combined with the full duplex nature of a T1.

Reply to
Jeremy Phillips

Yes, it sounds like you need another business-class type service that will give you symmetric upstream/downstream capacity.

Reply to
Cyrus Afzali

| Our small company has used DSL for 5 years, and I'm starting to wonder | if we've outgrown it. We have about 30 client computers, mail server, | etc., sharing a 3.0Mbps/384Kbps DSL line. The connection is good, and | as long as no one is uploading anything, the downstream is fine. Of | course, as soon as someone sends a big email or uploads something to an | FTP site, our entire upstream bandwidth is consumed, so regular web | requests have to wait in line. This leads to the perception that our | download speeds are bad. | | Anyway, I'm wondering what DSL expectations are among business users in | this group. On average, how many users, and what kinds of services | would you expect business-class DSL to support? I'm expecting a sales | call today from our ISP about upgrading to a partial T1, but I'm hoping | to get some unbiased opinions first. | | Thanks for reading to the end :) | | Joseph

Fractional T1 won't be better. You should upgrade your DSL class [

formatting link
] or get an additional DSL line and use the Edimax PermaLink PRI-682 which has two WAN ports or a combination of both the upgrade class and two DSL lines using the Edimax.
formatting link

Reply to
David H. Lipman

| Yes, a frac T-1 will provide an overall better experience.

I doubt it. a T1 is sym. 1.5MB/s a fractional T1 is less than than that. He has already expressed he's getting 3.0/.384Mb/s so his download speed will be decreased for those 30 users albeit he'll see a speed increase in upload. What speed increase will depend on the the number of DSO virtual 64KB circuits alotted.

In my suggestion he could get 6.0/768 Mb/s at a percentage of the recurring cost of Fractional T1. In addition he could also use his DSL in conjunction with his Cable ISP provider who will undoubtedly be as fast or faster than his present DSL line. The Edimax provides full load balancing and is an economical solution for Joseph's bottom line.

So I think the term "overall better" is an overstatement because he will loose download speed to gain upload speed at a higher recurring cost.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

| Doubt as you please. I'm not trying to convince you. |

Maybe -- However you replied to me, not to Joseph.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

DSL is full duplex. (That means it can transmit and receive data at the same time. Half duplex means transmit _or_ receive at one time.)

DSL comes with two versions of latency, depending on how the circuit is set up. Gamers complain all the time, but there is a solution. ________________________________________________________________________ TonyN.:' *firstname*nlsnews@georgea*lastname*.com '

Reply to
Tony Nelson

My apologies then. I honestly don't post to Usenet much. :)

-jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Phillips

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.