DSL bandwith vs. phone

How much of the typical phone line bandwidth is used by an old-fashioned phone call as opposed to DSL signals?

Reply to
richardfangnail
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@excite.com () wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

What I've read suggests that voice circuits occupy space from about

300Hz to 3.3kHz, while the DSL signal resides in the range of 25kHz to 1.1MHz.

I'm still amazed that they can force this kind of signal down a copper wire, even if only for a few thousand feet.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Your right about this.

When you work with splitter, you have the voice signals as narrowband, and dsl signals as broadband

"Bert Hyman" skrev i melding news:Xns97A9777DC56EDVeebleFetzer@127.0.0.1...

Reply to
Erik Semey

Hi,

64Kb (G.711 codec) down to 6K (G.723 codec) if you are asking about a bandwidth consumed by each phone call.

Naim

formatting link

Reply to
Panda

Sorry,

correct link is:

formatting link

Reply to
Panda

I think it's the ADSL that starts from 25kHz allowing simultaneous POTS analogue telephony and data over the same copper line. Whereas certain types of DSL like HDSL and G.Shdsl follow baseband signalling and make use of the POTS frequency also. In such a case POTS can't be offered on the copper pair.

VG

Reply to
Vcc Ground

snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote in news:1145376768.317291.275640 @t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Bert is right generly 50 Hz to 3000 Hz There was never a standard. There was a set of rules you built a telephone circuit by and the result was in a range of values. Since most of the voice content centered around 1000 Hz the test for good voice was there. For various combinations of copper gauges the loss should be no worse than 8.0 db at 1000 Hz Also the loss should be no more than 10 db more at 2800 Hz.

When analog voice was converted to digital 64kbps per voice circuit was used.

Charles Gowder snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

Reply to
Charles Gowder

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.