DSL 40000 feet ever!?

Im apx..40,000 feet from the CO, will DSL ever happen? Its 2006, and ive been waiting for 6 years now. Ive read news groups for years

1999/2000 and the feet limits have not changed much. Im tired of Dial up and Sat costs 1000 bucks just for the dish and 90-100 bucks a month its outrageous!
Reply to
Dream921_
Loading thread data ...

Its not outrageous - its real life. Its also one of the choices you made when you chose to live where you live.

Now, there are newer flavors of DSL that go out to 20K reliably. It will be a while for 40K though. It's possible that your local telco could do fiber to the neighborhood at some point. Or that you could get coverage from a wireless provider. Have you checked

formatting link
lately?

Worse case, if its that important - you could move...

Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

WiMax.....

Reply to
RWM

It will depend on the quality of the copper, but I don't see it coming soon. For one thing, I'm not sure the numbers are there.

Are you sure it's 40kft of copper? I'm 35 kft from my CO, but that means nothing. Only 2 kft are copper, the rest is fiber to my neighborhood RT. When the RBOC put a DSLAM in the RT, I could get DSL.

I think the RBOC put the DSLAM in partly to compete with cable. They didn't want to have to try to win customers away. If you don't have cable in your area as possible competition, even if you are on a nearby RT, I'd expect it is near the bottom of their list for a DSLAM upgrade.

Sorry, but that's a free market. If full deployment of DSL takes

10 years with available production rates & installation crews, how else should RBOC order their instals? Or do you believe in centrally-planned economies because it might give you this one advantager? The slight disadvantages in everything else add up to much more.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

There's ISDN. It's good that far, with repeaters.

Reply to
David Lesher

I can't see much research going into DSL as it requires copper wire. Copper is going the way of the dinosaur. Fiber is the future and Verizon/at&t doesn't have to give it up at below market value.

Reply to
Pepi Manguell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.