Dry Copper, DSLAM, Asymmetric Routing

I have two sites that are fairly close to each other, and I am planning to buy two point-to-point copper pairs for each site. On each site I will have a ADSL2 DSLAM and one modem. There will be two Cisco routers on each side and what I want to do is set the upstream traffic's static route to point to the DSLAM on either side of the setup, therefore we should be able to have

24Mbps of symetrical bandwidth by utilizing the downstream link of the ADSL2 technology.

For example from Site A, if I upload a file to Site B the file will be forwarded to Site A's DSLAM and Site B's modem will be downloading at

24Mbps. If I download a file from Site B, then the file will be pointed to Site B's DSLAM and Site A will be downloading at 24Mbps.

Is such a setup possible? How much does point to point dry copper cost nowadays if it is?

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
jego
Loading thread data ...

The big question is how close are they to the CO? Even buying an alarm loop from the LEC, they'll backhaul it to the CO first, its not like some guy in a bucket crane goes stringing cable up site to site directly for you...

Okay, sounds feasible assuming you get anywhere close to full speed on your alarm loops.

One thing to remember is that DSLAMs are made for telco deployments. Ie. they'll be 24 ports at the minimum, and possibly run only off -48V DC power. I tried to get some pricing on the lowest end ones and failed on some web searches, I'm guessing something like an Adtran total Access 1200 mini-DSLAM is going to run $4500-$5000 list price new.

Okay, sounds like it could break, but is doable. Troubleshooting a half-down link will be tortourous.

Depends on your LEC. Qwest long ago got wind of it and effectively shut it down for end-users. Something like $600/month a loop, and they don't guarantee passing even a DS0 over it, let alone DSL signalling. If there's bridge taps on it, too bad. Its only tested out for its intended purpose (ie. a current loop for an alarm circuit). Repair on it is absolutely dead last in the hiearchy of things. Ie. only if they've got guys sitting around for hours with nothing to do, they might consider going out to take a look.

CLECs can buy dry loops conditioned to their colo in the CO on friendlier terms..

This may all be more cost effectively done with metro-ethernet from the LECs in your area.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.