do you need filters...

alarm/security system: active or not (call alarm/security company for filter instructions) utilities: does the meter report by phone? filter must be provided by utility company water gas electric paging or intercom system that uses phones: may require a whole house filter (POTS splitter) or separate line for dsl rollover lines: put the dsl on your fax line, not one of the rollover lines

satellite (and rarely cable) box may use phone for premium services, such as pay per view external ringer or light flasher distinctive ring

other phones: attic garage bedroom upstairs downstairs fax machine answering machine caller id box dial-up modem telecommunications device for the deaf (TDD)

Reply to
Kay Archer
Loading thread data ...

| alarm/security system: active or not (call alarm/security company for | filter instructions) | utilities: does the meter report by phone? filter must be provided by | utility company | water | gas | electric | paging or intercom system that uses phones: may require a whole house filter | (POTS splitter) or separate line for dsl | rollover lines: put the dsl on your fax line, not one of the rollover lines | | satellite (and rarely cable) box may use phone for premium services, such as | pay per view | external ringer or light flasher | distinctive ring | | other phones: | attic | garage | bedroom | upstairs | downstairs | fax machine | answering machine | caller id box | dial-up modem | telecommunications device for the deaf (TDD) |

On any POTS device connected other than the DSL modem.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Why "provided by utility company"? I put a regular DSL filter on the phone line for my water meter. Nothing special about it. Dialup may best with the water meter unplugged though if it is an older meter reader.

Reply to
David Efflandt

I would definitely advise anyone with DSL to pick up a quality splitter. They're widely available for around $35. Put the splitter as close to where the phone line enters your house as possible. Connect the 'phone' output of the splitter to your existing inside wiring. Connect the 'modem' output of the splitter to a high-quality line to your DSL modem (Cat 5 is perfect). Remove any filters you had on your phones, alarm system, modems, fax machine, caller ID box, or whatever. You don't need them anymore.

This allows you to easily add additional phones and devices to your phone line without needing any splitters. It also prevents crappy wiring anywhere in your house from interfering with your DSL.

I recently cut over a friend's DSL from the usual "three splitters" setup to this type of wiring. His line speed went up from 2Mbps to 3Mbps immediately. No more losing sync when the satellite system dials out either.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.