Creating a DataCenter

Hi,

I have a slightly odd question - and I'm scared you'll all laugh at me...

I want to start a neighbourhood datacenter! My home computer will be the central hub and my friends in the area will be my clients. We want to share large amounts of data.... This amount of data would cost WAY WAY too much on a standard ADSL package from an ISP.

My question is: could my clients use their ADSL modem to connect to my computer somehow? (Completely excluding the ISP from the picture).

What equipment would I need to buy? What modifications would the client's ADSL modem require?

Please don't tell me to build a WiFi network! (unless it's the only way)

Janet.

Reply to
Janet
Loading thread data ...

Hehe... no problem!

Why on earth would you want to do this? If you explain, it might help us to engineer a real (or better) solution.

How much? Really?

Since when did ISPs sell ANY data storage. Unless you are talking about a web space.

No. Not without a direct line of sire Wireless connection (and server software) and/or if you owned your own backbone. :)

Why not just buy them an extra hard drive? LOL.

Well, if you are really serious about this, the only practical way is for them to have a direct connection to your server. One way is dialup (probably too slow) the other way is wireless (need to be close neighbors).

Some will probably recommend using a VPN tunnel. In order to do that you will still need the Internet and a static public IP from your ISP.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

You would have to become a DSL provider, likely meeting your telco with at least a DS3 to some facility at which they have a presence. It is extremely unlikely that this would make any sense.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

You need to by a dslam and possibly and atm switch. And you will need to co-locate them at the local telco CO.

Plan on spending at LEAST several tens of thousands of dollars. Plus lawyers, etc., to set it the details of negotiating the co-location.

Not the ONLY way, but definitely the easiest and cheapest.

Reply to
I am a Sock Puppet

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.