connect a second adsl modem/router as a slave to 1 ISP account

I've been searching everywhere for info on this, and people here seem to be the most knowlegable...so here goes:-

I have 2 ZoomX5 ADSL modem/routers. 1 is connected in one corner of my house. I'd like to connect the other at the opposite end, upstairs. I know I could use Cat5 and run it from the first to the second PC no problem, but a better solution for me is to just connect a 'slave' modem upstairs, where I already have a phone line ready to go.

I can't connect the second modem as pre-configured - it 'knows' I'm already logged into my ISP. Is there any way to configure the 2nd ZoomADSL to be a slave without being physically connected to the first? I read somewhere that I could have multiple PPPoE's? I'm not very technical with networks, but logically I think I'd be able to have a slave...

Wireless is not an option - I've tried but we're talking multiple walls of concrete, plus a floor, it makes it about 40ft - I need about 100ft line of sight (or 150-200 if I were to run Cat5).

Thanks for any help in advance.

Reply to
jimlegere
Loading thread data ...

| I've been searching everywhere for info on this, and people here seem | to be the most knowlegable...so here goes:- | | I have 2 ZoomX5 ADSL modem/routers. 1 is connected in one corner of my | house. I'd like to connect the other at the opposite end, upstairs. I | know I could use Cat5 and run it from the first to the second PC no | problem, but a better solution for me is to just connect a 'slave' | modem upstairs, where I already have a phone line ready to go. | | I can't connect the second modem as pre-configured - it 'knows' I'm | already logged into my ISP. Is there any way to configure the 2nd | ZoomADSL to be a slave without being physically connected to the first? | I read somewhere that I could have multiple PPPoE's? I'm not very | technical with networks, but logically I think I'd be able to have a | slave... | | Wireless is not an option - I've tried but we're talking multiple walls | of concrete, plus a floor, it makes it about 40ft - I need about 100ft | line of sight (or 150-200 if I were to run Cat5). | | Thanks for any help in advance.

No, wrong device. You want to install a Ethernet hub or Ethernet Switch.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

I have never used HPNA, which can network over phone lines. But another option might be through power lines. I know that netgear has a combination XE102 wall-plugged ethernet bridge and WXG102 wireless range extender that works through power lines. But maybe 2 XE102's could bridge a wired network.

Reply to
David Efflandt

thanks David & David, I'll explore both options

Reply to
jimlegere

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.