Configuring an SBC Speedstream 5100b for use with Qwest

For any folks out there who had to switch from SBC Yahoo DSL to Qwest (because, like me, you moved to an area where Qwest has a danged monopoly!), and don't want to buy a new modem from Qwest, here is how, after several headaches, I configured my Speedstream to work with Qwest. (BTW, this is in Spokane, WA.)

I am assuming that you have a Speedstream 5100b (the one with 5-led's in front), although the setup should be similar for others.

1. Plug your computer and the "phone" line into your DSL modem.
  2. Go to 192.168.0.1 to access the configuration on the modem.
  3. Start by clearing out the old settings from SBC on the modem (I think its under "Configuration -- Advanced". It says something like "Reset default settings".
  4. Click Advanced --> Connection Configuration. Enter the "modem access code" that is printed under your modem.
  5. Now enter the following settings: Your Qwest username/password. VPI:
0 VCI:
  1. Protocol: PPPoA. Maximum Allowable MTU: 1500. ATM encapsulation: VC-Mux.

The rest you can leave pretty much as it is. PPP on the modem, etc.

Some thoughts:

--I think older versions of the 5100b may not have been able to do PPPoA. You may have to upgrade your firmware. I had version 10.0.0.36. If you need to upgrade, click on Advanced --> Update Modem, while you are connected via a dial-up or something.

-- Qwest's tech support was not much help in all this. Neither was their "QuickCare" application.

Cheerio. Good luck

Reply to
Toadkiller Dog
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.