Computer hangs when connected to DSL modem

A couple of days back I have taken a DSL Modem/router (make is D-Link

502T) and broad band connection. I connect to my computer (PIII 700MHz 128MB 120GB WinXP) through USB port as I don't have Ethernet card (RJ45) on the computer. In the second USB port I connect an optical mouse. I am facing two types of problem:
  1. If the modem is connected while booting up the computer then mouse hangs. I can login by navigating through keyboard.
  2. When I boot without the modem being connected and connect the modem after login, then computer hangs a few minutes (within 1-10 minutes) after using internet.

Can anybody help in this regard? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
neelotpal.sahai
Loading thread data ...

First thing that comes to mind is to make sure you have the latest drivers for your USB controller. This may be supplied by your motherboard maker, check their website for bios updates.

Reply to
Kay Archer

I believe someone mentioned to check for power saving features in the motherboard bios as well as in windows.

My USB infrared remote kept going dead and that was tracked to the system putting the USB port to sleep after it was idle for about 10 minutes.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.