Clarification: Firmware Flash from CAP to DMT on Cisco 678

Sorry, previous post not clear -

I need to convert a Cisco 678 from CAP to DMT. Currently th modem has CAP cbos 2.4.6 loaded and I need to convert to the DMT version.

In order to flash the code to the DMT version, please tell if any or all of the following 3 possibilities will work:

A. Use hypertrminal and a serial conneciton to"set download code" using the transfer in function in hyperterminal.

B. using tftp, which seems more confusing (to me), or

C. use the boot-up crtl-C to get in and do the routine I found on xmission general apparently from

formatting link
- but with the DMT code of course. : es 0 --erase sector 0 es 1 --erase sector 1 es 2 --erase sector 2 es 3 --erase sector 3 es 4 --erase sector 4 es 5 --erase sector 5 es 6 --erase sector 6 (running config) --note this will require the router be reconfigured

df 10008000 --download the file to this location in memory --start and xmodem download with the 675 image --after transfer is complete you will see the # of bytes it --has written - e.g. 00fe8001 - you will need this later

pb 10008000 fee00000 --program the area of memory to flash area -- is the # of bytes (no brackets) the --monitor reported being downloaded

m0 --turn off monitor rb --reboot

Reply to
mtin
Loading thread data ...

I've switched a number of Cisco 678's from CAP to DMT over the years, and I've always used the HyperTerminal method (A) with a serial cable. Yes, tftp may be quicker, but you have to set up a tftp server to communicate with.

I'm assuming you do have a serial cable for your 678 - they are not the same as the big Cisco router's serial management cables. If you need to build one, here are a couple of locations for help:

formatting link
formatting link
If you run into problems with method A for updating your Cisco, here's a link I've used to reset and reload a 67x from the monitor mode:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Bob.

Reply to
Bob

I finally got my DSL operating over the weekend. The key item was indeed flashing the firmware in my Cisco 678 from CAP to DMT. I used hyperterminal. The session seemed to go per plan, but the first time I had some intersting error lines on bootup:

Hello! Checking CBOS Flash CRC... MIX header/trailer not found Checking Monitor MIX header/trailer CRC verified: 0x14a39663

Flash CRC verified: 0x55f8936e Checking User Config Flash CRC... MIX header/trailer CRC verified: 0xeace47ae

Flash CRC verified: 0xe8d2f2ea Checking Custom Config Flash CRC... MIX header/trailer not found Operation fault at fee00000, subtype 01 Fault record is saved at 10001010

SO I tried the download procredure again and now the modem boots fine

I am surprised that Qwest never informed me that all new lines are installed as DMT even though they still apparently support existing customers with CAP.

Thanks for the support

Bob wrote:

Reply to
mtin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.